Feature Request - Restart Button

SpaceKnight

Posted · Feature Request - Restart Button

Hi,

I feel like a restart button would be nice at the printer for a print. Since I don't always get a perfect first layer.

Problem: When the first layer isn't perfect and I need to restart the print I need to aboard and search on the SD card for the file and meanwhile the printer is doing its best to cool down.

Solution:
How it could/should work: Press Restart->Printer Stops and Homes + keeps preheated-> You remove the Material-> Press OK or Ready and it restarts

I don't know If I am the only one needing this feature or if there is already a solution I didn't see.

I use Repetier Host for my printing which basically provides this. I recommend that you also lower the print bed during the restart process to provide easy access to the material on the bed and then of course raise it back to its starting z position. I assume the restart will start with command 1 in the g-code so that the bed will be raised back to its start position including any z-offset command.

So if you abort a print the UM3 and S5 have a retry option at the end of the print.

And the Cura connect print queue software (running on the same printers) has a list of old prints you can duplicate.

Does that help?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robinmdh said:

So if you abort a print the UM3 and S5 have a retry option at the end of the print.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:58 AM, SpaceKnight said:

I need to aboard and search on the SD card for the file and meanwhile the printer is doing its best to cool down

I don't think @SpaceKnight is using a UM3 or S5.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Feature Request - Restart Button

Missed that SD card bit indeed 😅

While the we are still making bugfixes for the um2(+) I don't see time for new features likely.

Have you tried @tinkergnome's tinker firmware? It has a bunch of features the regular firmware does not, if it doesn't already have that feature someone might be able to add it.

Edited by robinmdh
    As = SD

@robinmdh

I heard about the firmware but I am not quite sure if I should install it because ia am maybe a bit scared installing a third party firmware on the printer. 

But I guess if you from Ultimaker is recommending it it would be fine.