Mintemp triggered

johan

Posted · Mintemp triggered

Hi,

I have had an issue with the MINtemp triggered at my new Ultimaker. After a lot of testing, I contacted the Ultimaker Support team, and today I recived replacement TC and TC pcb.

I conected the pcb and the TC it, but didn't insert the TC into the heaterblock. It worked perfect! :D I meassured the themperature for some time, and it was at 23 degrees.

So I assembled the printhead and inserted the TC in the heaterblock and locked it with the screw. After that, I conected the printer to Pronterface again but.... :cry:

MINtemp was triggered again....

So I moved the TC out of the heaterblock again, and voilà: perfect meassurements....

So I guess that I get a short sircuit when the steeltube is inserted in the heaterblock.

Have anyone else had this problem, and is ther a fix for it?

Johan

No.

The Mintemp is trigggered when I insert the TC in the heaterblock. When I insert it the themp starts to drop. If I wiggle it it goes up and down. I think the same thing happend with the original TC and TCpcb. It was ok when the bot lay on its side, but triggered when I turned it to upright position.

I have a Makerbot TOM, and in the assembly wiki, they point out that the TC should be wrapped with kapton tape for insulation before attached to the heatblock....

Johan

Is the ultimaker placed on a steel table? Maybe the connection between the motherboard & the temp sensor could also be the problem (considering that you didnt had this problem when you placed it sideways).

The UIltimaker is placed on a wooden table, so that couldn't be the reason.

It is when I insert to the heaterblock that the temp is falling, and at last triggers the mintemp. If I insert it and watch the themp drop, and then pull it out again before it reach 5 degrees, it rises to normal roomtemp at once....

It insn't happening if I just touch the outer surface of the heaterblock....

Johan

Maybe a silly question, but just throwing in a random idea.

What kind of environment conditions your printer is in? Very dry? Very moist? Hot? Cold?

Just normal indoor climate in my flat. Before I insert the TC into the heaterblock, it measures 22-23 degrees. And since it's winter the air is dry....

The strange thing, is that the same thing happend with the first TC. ( I did not test to remove it from the heateblock)

If I use needle-nosed plier an hold the steel tube on the TC gently, the themp reading drops down to 15 degrees, and rises to normal, when i let go.

When I do the same with a plastic tweezers the themp stays at 22degrees.

I now tried to remove thr heater cartridge from the block, and then insert the TC again. Now it works! I pulled it out again, and tuch the cartridge, and the Mintemp triggers! The machine is only powered over the usb. I guess this means I got a gnd problem somewhere... Could anyone give me a hint where to look?

Johan

I'm also getting this issue. Does anyone know how it was solved.

We've checked all connections, when we take the TC out of the heater block we don't usually trigger the MINTEMP (but sometimes we do), we also can't get a positive reading trying to hold the TC by hand or touching with a soldering tip.

Any help would be appreciated.

You could always try coating the TC with some non-conductive thermal grease (heatsink compound) before you insert it into the aluminum block. Get some good stuff, however (premium computer CPU / GPU heatsink compound). The cheap stuff hardens up and might make it tough to remove the TC. I've not looked up the specs and even the good stuff might cause problems with removal for that matter, but look for maximum operating specs up to 260C, if you can find some.

hi - I kept having this issue - check if the blue light on top of the ultimaker is going off just before MIXTEMP - what;s happening is the connectors are being pulled out of the top of the printing block.

there;s a clip which holds them in place but I've removed the wires from that clip and it works fine. see image

ultimaker_head.jpg

I have the exact same issue. If I plug the thermocouple in the heater block the reading becomes 0. When it is out it shows room temperature. How was this issue solved?