UM3 NOZZLE 2 always leveled too close to bed

Posted · UM3 NOZZLE 2 always leveled too close to bed

I was doing manual leveling and follow it with active leveling once a time every month, mostly.

AT first, I thought my Ultimaker3 printer's active leveling started to fail.

After a few more times, even manual leveling isn't helping, I guess. 

No matter how i manually level the nozzles, or use active leveling, the printer will always press nozzle 2 too close to buildplate once print is started. 

I can see the nozzle was so close that it got pushed back a bit upwards, so close that filament cannot print out of it.

Is there a fix to this? I am not sure why this is happening.

I suspect the distance between Nozzle 1 and Nozzle 2 somehow was wrong, becuz nozzle 1 works just fine...

Meanwhile to keep work going, I manually loosen the 3 screws a bit after manual/active leveling to compensate it while using nozzle 2.

We discussed that here - maybe you find an answer (mine was to turn off automativ levelling because turning screws was not looking professional enough for me 🙂 ).

12 minutes ago, dxp said:

We discussed that here - maybe you find an answer (mine was to turn off automativ levelling because turning screws was not looking professional enough for me 🙂 ).

I have turned off active leveling, it still doesnt work.

Problem is either that the firmware seemed to not remembering the settings of my manual leveling, or that the Z calibration between 2 nozzle was somehow wrong.

So, you're running the latest firmware? (Just to be sure...) Auto-levelling - doomed to Never? Clean the outside and the hole of the nozzle, heat them up, heat your print bed and try again. Print a wide flat part with both cores to see, if it works (of course you can tweak the screws while printing to get some nice flat printed first layer lines (same level for both cores!). You really need that correct z-offset because you don't want to turn screws in the middle of a print 😉  In my case, turning off Auto-Levelling was the key.

4 minutes ago, dxp said:

So, you're running the latest firmware? (Just to be sure...) Auto-levelling - doomed to Never? Clean the outside and the hole of the nozzle, heat them up, heat your print bed and try again. Print a wide flat part with both cores to see, if it works (of course you can tweak the screws while printing to get some nice flat printed first layer lines (same level for both cores!). You really need that correct z-offset because you don't want to turn screws in the middle of a print 😉  In my case, turning off Auto-Levelling was the key.

Yes i am running the latest firmware.

The Nozzles are always cleaned, I also switch a another core into nozzle 2 just to test it out, same issue persist.

What happens here is that the Nozzle 1 will always print well, but Nozzle 2 will always get too close to bed, blocking filament.

The distance between the 2 nozzles are wrong, somehow, and I do not know how to set it manually or so. Now I can only print with Nozzle 1, because Nozzle 2 always be in a wrong Z calibration.... This is so disappointing, the machine has been running ok for the past year, but problems here and there starts causing issues.

Yes, I made the same experience. Manual levelling changed that for me.

5 minutes ago, dxp said:

Yes, I made the same experience. Manual levelling changed that for me.

while manual calibration, do u leave the nozzle 2 a little bit higher on purpose so to compensate the problem that it press too close to bed?

Because in my case, manual calibration still doesn't help much, I guess I will hv to lift the nozzle 2 a little bit higher during Z caibration so that is room for it to press against the bed, but that sounds very unscientific.

30 minutes ago, ultradryan said:

sounds very unscientific.

it is. I tried the same with some business-cards under 2nd nozzle to compensate but the 2nd nozzle was still pressed against the glass.

@gr5 helped me last time - i'm out of knowledge.

2 hours ago, dxp said:

it is. I tried the same with some business-cards under 2nd nozzle to compensate but the 2nd nozzle was still pressed against the glass.

@gr5 helped me last time - i'm out of knowledge.

Opps, after a few more tests, i did find out, manual leveling really is okay, as long as no active leveling is overriding it.

Your personal lightbulb moment 🙂 Enjoy your prints!