1mm nozzle upgrade

Posted · 1mm nozzle upgrade

Hey all, I am using a 1mm nozzle and I successfully printed test cubes (with sainsmart flex filament).

I am now trying to print a shoe insole/orthotic .

the entire first layer printed pretty perfectly except some strands when the nozzle was traveling. 

Anyway right when the print moved to infill on the 2nd layer, the filament stopped extruding.

I paused the print and reloaded the filament in and it printed a few lines more and then stopped extruding again.

Help!

The following are my settings and some pics

sainsmart flex filament

1mm nozzle:

.8mm height

1mm width

3 wall lines

15% infill

print temp 220

plate temp 60

print speed 10mm/s

I attached pics of the front of the insole where it stopped printing the 2nd layer, I reloaded the filament and it printed a couple more lines before the extruding stopped again.  I have no clue as to why that would happen!

I also attached pics of the filament after I pulled it out when the print failed.

One thing to note, i tighten all the way the wheel that keeps the filament against drive wheel and was wondering if that's too much or would that affect it negatively at all? 

Please remember I am using a 1 mm nozzle.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

So cura prints the bottom layer by default at a different thickness than the remaining layers.  This is a bit of a wild guess but I'm guessing your bottom layer is something like 0.4mm thick and your second layer is 0.8mm thick and the nozzle just can't pump that much material that fast.  So first thing:

Check bottom layer thickness.

Also the printer usually prints the bottom layer at a different speed and the fan usually turns on at the second layer.

So I'm guessing one of those 3 things is switching the printer into a mode where it just can't push hard enough on that filament.  Flexibles are more difficult than hard filaments.

In addition you can print much faster if you add some oil to the filament.  It seems bizarre but it works very well and the oil doesn't interfere at all with the print (this advice is for flexible filaments only). About one drop per meter is about right.  You have to keep oiling it every 20 minutes or so and you have to unspool a meter or so of filament (put the back of the printer over the edge of a table so the filament can droop down to almost the floor).

18 minutes ago, paulrhee2002 said:

One thing to note, i tighten all the way the wheel that keeps the filament against drive wheel and was wondering if that's too much or would that affect it negatively at all? 

What kind of printer do you have?

Yes it affects things negatively.  A little bit.  It changes the flow rate for one thing so you may be over or underextruding (I think?  Because you squish it down and *then* feed it at a given rate?).

Unless it's slipping at the feeder I would reduce the tension for flexible filaments

What kind of printer is this?

Thanks GR5!

It is a tevo black widow (direct drive extruder which I thought would help for flex filaments)

I will loosen that up.

Also, my initial layer was at .6 and the rest at .8.

my line width is 1mm.  Is that too wide?  

Would you recommend first reducing line height to .6 like the first layer and if that doesn't work should I start reducing the width?  Does the width matter?  

Or should I just try reducing the speed?  I am at 10mm/s for all layers.  Pretty darn slow.  Do I need to raise the temp?  should I try these all one at a time to see which works and which of these doesn't make sense?

Thanks for the advice

I think you are experiencing a common problem with soft filaments. The filament path from the extruder gear to the hot end needs to be fully constrained or the filament will tend to buckle and jam. When you increased layer height, it’s needing to feed material faster, at higher pressure...increasing likelihood of a jam.

you may be able to modify your extrude similar to this mod https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2668711

That's for the tarantula, you’d need to modify it for your printer.

you could also upgrade your extruder. I have the Flexion extruder, and there are plans online for both single and dual versions. Single is here: 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2060966

I have heard good things about the bondtech BMG, but have no experience with it.

I got the black widow because I read it was an oversized prusa with a direct drive extruder but if needed was thinking about going with the bondtech as I have seen good reviews also.

I am going to tinker with settings first to see if this can be avoided.  That may be an unreliable solution though and may have to go with the bondtech for reliability and maybe even a little speed.

Since the initial layer printed perfect and was .6mm height, should I try lowering the layer height first?  Ok that seems logical so gonna try that and will let you all know.  Thanks everyone!

since 0.6 layer height works and 0.8 does not I would go with 0.5mm layer height for the entire print and see if that works.  I would stick with 1mm line width since you are using a 1mm nozzle. 

I would also play with the print speed while it's printing.  I think that printer is marlin based and has a TUNE Menu for you to mess with print speed while printing.

You can get larger nozzles.  I sell for example a 2mm nozzle that works with 1.75mm filament (seems impossible? lol it works).  It works because the nozzle narrows to two 1mm passages for the filament to flow through before reaching a larger chamber and then going out through the 2mm opening.

Did you try the oil?  That works really well for me for ninjaflex which is the most flexible filament I've used.  Similar to a rubber band.

Your choice of the Black Widow, having the direct extruder is a good one.

I found a video showing the assembly instructions for the Black Widow Extruder. It looks like the filament path is pretty well constrained in that there appears to be a wedge snugged up to the gear and follower wheel. It looks like the extruder is completely different in style from the Tarantula, so the mods above wouldn't work at all.

Good luck experimenting. I can recommend the Flexion extruder.

• Thanks 1

I reduced the layer height to .6 and it is printing nicely.  About halfway through the print right now.

Thank yo so much all.

GR5, you actually solved an under-extrusion problem for me before.  I owe you a couple!  

Thanks again

• Like 1