'Roof' skin in bridge mode. How to?

Serg2019

Posted · 'Roof' skin in bridge mode. How to?

Hi! I'm new in Cura. I'm trying to make "roof" layers over low density infill structures printing as bridges. It seems, it only works for Bridge Skin Support Threshold=100%. Any lesser values cause ordinary skin printing behaviour of the layers (flow, speed etc). How to achieve that bridge-mode printing depending on the given threshold of the underlaying infill density? 

Slice100.thumb.jpg.199990c74d396a0da87535c2a3ca6471.jpgSlice99.thumb.jpg.edb4bf05e4bf1761143480c60dda6e46.jpg

It works fine for me.  What infill density are you using? 

Also why not just leave it at 100% - since typically there is only one infill density for the whole part - does this mean you are using the gradual infill feature?

@burtoogle - What does the threshold refer to exactly?  If I set infill density to 50% and threshold to 40% doesn't that mean the feature is used 100% of the time on skin over infill?

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

It works fine for me.  What infill density are you using? 

Also why not just leave it at 100% - since typically there is only one infill density for the whole part - does this mean you are using the gradual infill feature?

In that example I used zero infill, but I've experimented with different density values - got the same result.

100% threshold in not ok as well because it causes another issue... hmmm... For that particuar cube, if I use 3 bottom skin layers then set bridging support threshold = 100% it happens that first 2 layers appear normal but the 3d one becomes bridge-styled. It seems like Cura detects that the 1st layer is like 100% solid but the 2d one is not. So, it draws 3d layer as a bridge over that.

I'm not sure if I described that issue correctly. There are too many things at this point look odd for me. For instance, when I change the threshold from 99% to 100%, Cura switches cube walls' speed aswell. I don't know, whether all these issues are bugs or I do not understand Cura's principles right so I do everything odd.

Maybe it is back to basics, If you are printing top layers over infill why do you want to use bridging when it is not bridging. I do not have the latest Cura and do not know what bridge mode is, lol so probably should not be commenting!

If you are printing layers over low density infill it just means you need more top layers to get a decent surface, say 1.0mm thickness plus.

I'm having the problem too.  I have a hollow part that has bottom layers and top layers.  0% infill works fine for the whole thing due to the shape.  However, the top does have about a 1 inch opening that I want to bridge.  When I enable bridge settings it doesn't see the top as a bridge because there is material underneath it.  It doesn't matter that the material is not doing anything to support it.  I think this is just a problem with how this threshold works.  The only way for it to see the top as a bridge is to set the "bridge skin support threshold" to 100%.  But then it sees the bottom layers as a bridge as well and applies the same settings to it.