sophocha

Underextrusion on outer wall

Posted · Underextrusion on outer wall

Hi all,

I always had underextrusion problems on my ender 3 since day one (specifically on long runs).Tried to fix it by slowing the speed down and it did work for the majority of my prints.I have recently switched to cura 4.2.1 and it seems that the problem is more severe now on cylindrical models.Look at the pic.Same profile, cura 3.6 on the right, cura 4.2.1 on the left. When the nozzle switch from infill to outer wall (even with retraction off!!) it still underextrudes! Tried some prime setttings but it seems nothing works. The rest of the print is spot on except the dreadful start of each outer layer.

IMG_20190806_135110.jpg

I have heard that the Ender 3 has some problems with the feeder gear tension. There are some mods to make it stronger and more reliable. If the filament slips through the gear on your feeder, that could be a reason for under extrusion.

Check out the Ender forums or search on Thingiverse for modifications.

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I have heard that the Ender 3 has some problems with the feeder gear tension. There are some mods to make it stronger and more reliable. If the filament slips through the gear on your feeder, that could be a reason for under extrusion.

Check out the Ender forums or search on Thingiverse for modifications.

I have changed the feeder gear into a metallic one.No more grinding the filament.I think the problem lies elsewhere. Everything is perfect except the very beginning of a layer.Maybe I will change the speed to a very low setting so that I can pinpoint where the problem is and go from there.

Posted (edited) · Underextrusion on outer wall

well well, look at that....perfect outer layer.

1) Stick with Cura 4.2.1. Much better improved profiles.

2) No more old customized profiles.I just ditched everything....Choose the draft profile from the settings.

3) In my case, raise the temp up a little bit (210).

4) Z seam alignment (shortest) with "hide seam"

5) See the photo. Almost perfect outer wall. I knew it wasn't my printers' fault.I can go really fast as well. Do not know what the problem was. Maybe I over-tweaked some settings... 

IMG_20190806_171938.jpg

Edited by sophocha

1 hour ago, sophocha said:

Maybe I over-tweaked some settings... 

Yes, that can happen faster than you think.

But good to hear that it is working now for you.