Cura 4.2.1, are filling holes ?!?!?

pmleite

Posted · Cura 4.2.1, are filling holes ?!?!?

got some strange slicing with cura

(see photo gallery)

when I slice this project some holes are random filled by the height that I have defined to walls .

??? help please... 

note that if I rotate the model, other holes are filled???!! 

very strange 

Thanks for the models. I was wrong, the models are OK. However, I can slice led_panel.stl and it looks OK. It must, instead, be a problem with the settings. Please save the project file and attach to this thread. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, burtoogle said:

Thanks for the models. I was wrong, the models are OK. However, I can slice led_panel.stl and it looks OK. It must, instead, be a problem with the settings. Please save the project file and attach to this thread. Thanks.

Here it is..
    I don't see nothing unusual... but we never know! 

led_panel.3mf

Thanks for the project file. Hmm, very weird, It looks to me that those sections are being inverted, i.e. the hole is treated as solid and gets skin and the non-hole area which should be skin is empty (if you turn off the fill gaps between walls setting).

At this time, I can't say where the bug is. Possibly in the front end but it looks more likely to be in the slicer back end.

Interestingly, when I sliced the led_panel.stl using different settings there wasn't a problem so I will continue to investigate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burtoogle said:

Thanks for the project file. Hmm, very weird, It looks to me that those sections are being inverted, i.e. the hole is treated as solid and gets skin and the non-hole area which should be skin is empty (if you turn off the fill gaps between walls setting).

At this time, I can't say where the bug is. Possibly in the front end but it looks more likely to be in the slicer back end.

Interestingly, when I sliced the led_panel.stl using different settings there wasn't a problem so I will continue to investigate.

You are the best!,  meanwhile I am printing this model in repetier, with cura engine, there I do not have this issue.  When you got the bug we will hear about! advance thanks!

Hi, it's definitely a bug in the current Cura. I have taken the liberty of creating an issue (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/6215).

In the meantime, a workaround that worked for me was to change the top/bottom line width slightly. i.e 3.9 or 4.1 instead of 4.0.

BTW, you can save yourself some time and filament by switching to gyroid infill at a much lower density than what you are currently using. It will still be stupidly strong. I also recommend enabling the optimise wall printing order setting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burtoogle said:

BTW, you can save yourself some time and filament by switching to gyroid infill at a much lower density than what you are currently using. It will still be stupidly strong. I also recommend enabling the optimise wall printing order setting.

LOL, I think the project that I send to you was 50% fill.. I never do that, I loaded the model and made slice with default values, I always use between 15% and 25%..

And yes, gyroid infill make difference, tanks for the tip, I have adjusted the line width to 0,39 and works fine for me! 

In future releases they should solve this problem... 

Best regards and thanks for all...

2 hours ago, pmleite said:

In future releases they should solve this problem... 

Indeed they should. Let's hope they treat it with the priority it deserves!

Hi! Just wanted to say, this is still an issue for me, with version 4.4.0 on Linux. I double checked my model using Slic3r, and it worked fine. The model is a 12mm wide box with a star shaped hole from the top that doesn't go through completely and leaves 2mm thickness at the bottom.

Hey I don't know if you are still having this issue, but I recently made a model on blender and was having a similar problem with gaps in the modeled being filled by Cura. I had to recalculate all of the mesh normals to face outside and it fixed the issue. So maybe make sure your normals are facing the right way? Hope that helps.

Best Regards

Hi., This issue is still there and I am using the version 4.9.1. Please see https://youtu.be/EO9TWloIzzo. Some times you can solve the problem by changing the orientation of the model. 

99% of the time, there is a problem with the model (the STL file).

Cura has an amazing plugin to test your model to see if something is wrong with it and can repair a very few of the many potential problems:
    In the upper right corner of Cura click "marketplace" and make sure you are on the "plugins" tab and install "Mesh Tools".  Then restart Cura.  Now right click on your model, choose "mesh tools" and first choose
    "check mesh", then "fix model normals" and "fix simple holes" to see if that helps.  Cura doesn't fix most issues so...

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

99% of the time, there is a problem with the model

I feel that lately that number has fallen to about 94%, with 5% having turned on the "Make overhang printable" setting for some reason. Don't use that setting, unless you realize exactly what it is doing.

In 1959 we have Soupy Sales explaining my proposed Tool-Tip for "Make overhangs printable".  Soupy always KNEW there would be Unexpected Consequences when he pulled the cork.  Usually it was a face full of whipped cream.  Other times it might be a squirt gun full of water or chocolate syrup.

Users of "Make Overhangs Printable" don't appear to understand that enabling it can also cause Unexpected Consequences.

1970403114_SoupySNoted.thumb.jpg.15a01279b666427c6db5621c646e0c4f.jpg

Fortunately for us, Cura rarely causes a 3D printer to squirt Whipped Cream into a users face but a face full of whipped cream is hard to miss.  Instead, the "Make overhangs printable" approach is to add chamfers to models in unexpected places.  Still humorous, but much more subtle and hard to notice. 

I get this all the time, its not the model its Cura, i have the same issue and if i change to the stock profiles it doesnt have the issue, if i switch to my custom profile the problem exists. If i change a stock profile to the same exact settings the problem doesn't exist, same issue for items that are max height not wanting to slice... Its a profile issue.

Load your custom profile.  Make all the settings visible.  Go to Mesh Fixes and make sure that "Remove all holes" and "Make over hangs printable" are de-selected.  The only thing that you might leave checked in Mesh Fixes is "Union overlapping volumes".