Uncle Creepy

kmanstudios

Posted · Uncle Creepy

Way back in the day, Warren Publishing put out a set of black and white magazines. Creepy was one of those magazines and, the mascot was Uncle Creepy.

Being the comics fan I am, plus having read the magazines when they were first released (yes....that old) I started this project a while back. This is the concept rendering:

05_19_19B.thumb.jpg.389444e20dee8cf3e7240e603248a00f.jpg

And, this is the beginnings of finishing the print. Still moving slow, but improving, so, if you like this, be patient as it has gazillions of parts to paint and assemble. All things printed, just need to be finalized.

I had a large 5 sided plexi display case since it is much cheaper to not have them include a premade base. So, I designed the base for the print to sit on, but also let me create a nice 'show' base.

This is the Base as it laid within the S5 buildspace. It is big, so it is on an angle. The white is the base and the beige part is a construct to minimize use of PVA. That stuff is expensive and difficult to print with. So, the less of it being used is always a plus.

01_Base_S5_1.thumb.jpg.100b520d42e432b583ec2b73715f7e1f.jpg

This shows the gap between the PLA construct and the base with just the tiny amount of PVA to deal with.

02_Base_S5_2.thumb.jpg.c257d0a3f31355daa09bda42776548e4.jpg

This is the printed piece. I had to reload a material and that is why the divisions in colour.

03_BasePrinted_2.thumb.jpg.106c7aecddb973f17f0b9491ec199f3e.jpg

04_BasePrinted.thumb.jpg.71396323c7295cb604c9f14387393bd2.jpg

This is the painted base. I will probably do touch ups and refinement as time goes on.

05_Base_Painted.thumb.jpg.f3b6230adea288a2dff0ae718cf8a2d5.jpg

Now, for the walls and floor, it was just too big for a single print. This shows the breakup of the model into printable sections.

06_FloorWallParts.thumb.jpg.e3164ef35862786a048dcb324b15b778.jpg

This is how big: This is the main part sitting on the S5 Buildplate.

07_FloorWallS5.thumb.jpg.bfb439f91cb661cc0eb682e8b5584942.jpg

This is the walls and floor assembled and primed sitting on the base.

08_FloorWallPartsonBase.thumb.jpg.60e5cfaa2bacf4a79fa3496863abfbe3.jpg

This is how the display case fits over the assembly.

09_FloorWallPartsonBaseCase.thumb.jpg.870004657226e0b0eca2a6cfdde4f220.jpg

More to come as I finish pieces. I have no rhyme or reason for the order of things to be finished. For instance, I have painted a few small objects like the Coat of Arms shield. Not much, but, just out of order of parts finished to start building the piece of the whole.

• Like 5

Posted · Uncle Creepy

So far, this is where I am on this project. I will have to adjust colours as I add pieces. Trying to figure what I will do to get this done is taking a lot longer than I had hoped. But it will be an evolving process.

This is the preliminary paint job on the back walls and floor.

Floor_Walls_01.thumb.jpg.53c12e84585b22ff19c1164d76574317.jpg

These are the smaller parts I have painted as well. Again, will probably have to adjust the paint job once it starts getting put together. The arrows point to 'the other side' of the objects themselves as they had additional detail to view. Personally, I like the eyes in the skull crossed, looking up at the axe cleaving into the skull. 😁

Pieces_01.thumb.jpg.19acb99c1907337155726119f1f11919.jpg

Just to show how optimistic I was about the books. I had spent a lot of time thinking up jokey book titles for them. But the book is less than an inch in height. So, oh well, 'tis whut it 'tis........

• Like 2

Posted · Uncle Creepy

So, spent a majority of the day painting the Bookshelf and roll top desk.

First, I disassembled the bookshelf and books that go into it. I had to be careful to take the books out in order since it took a while to get them into the proper place after printing them.

BookshelfDisassembled.thumb.jpg.5a68be9a3e4c0f795aa8ac61749b3799.jpg

So far, the bookshelf and roll top desk have just some basic washes on them with a bit of work to bring out detail. I still have to make the bookshelf a bit more 'wood grainy." But, I needed to see how it worked against the wall and floors. Who knows how long it will take to paint all those books, let alone the stuff that goes on the desk.

BookshelfDesk_01.thumb.jpg.b96877d1fc971ec3297f8444f3cae630.jpg

• Like 3

Posted · Uncle Creepy

For the geometry, I used a mixture of 3DS MAX 2016 for the basic geometry and 3D Coat for detailing, distressing and adding other details. In full disclosure, I did not make the skeleton parts that are in there (arm) and will be there. But I did greatly modify them.

Printed on the S5 and UM3E in PLA. Painting is being done with brushed on acrylics over a primer. The acrylics are a combo of washes and dry brush.

• Like 1

Posted · Uncle Creepy

This is the iron cage and occupant in the main parts.

ironcageparts.thumb.jpg.e418dd4fcfde28b567f00268712c048c.jpg

And a loose fitting before gluing together and into the wall part.

IronCageLooseFit.thumb.jpg.789cd84e5c3a24c886b1adb6baf2ccc4.jpg

And this is the wall as it now exists:

1. The wall and floor is now affixed to the base
  2. The iron cage is glued into place
  3. The books are now glued into the bookshelves
  4. The bookshelves are now glued into place
  5. Top parts are now added to the bookshelves

BookshelvesGlued.thumb.jpg.0429b810ccdbbbb2ccfab8d9c8da4454.jpg

For Beaky, I could have named the 'trophy' 'Orson' or Beaky. I chose Beaky because I figured people would have a better chance of seeing a Warner Bros. Cartoon more than H. R. Pufnstuf.

Posted · Uncle Creepy

OK, so now I am doing things around the floor and parts that go on the roll top desk.

This guy is going under the roll top desk.

1. Top Left is the conjoined  demon and the ball and chain painted, ready to assemble.
    2. Top Right has the Manacle placed upon the leg.
    3. Bottom Left is a loose placement
    4. Conjoined demon and ball and chain glued in place. The desk is just there to check placement before gluing.

DuoDemonPieced.thumb.jpg.97866a082579d986f946f206279a7866.jpg

This is the roll top desk and some of the parts that go into it. I researched torture devices to populate the desk shelves. They are all not prepped yet. I am working my way down in size of things that go into the desk and other places.

RollTopLoosePlacement.thumb.jpg.aa141b10b4246eaec79422af6a83ed6b.jpg

• Like 1

Posted · Uncle Creepy

The desk is in a sorta final placements before being glued down . All of this is just placed into position, but want to think about it and maybe move a thing here or there or add a thing or two, or not.....

All lab equipment/beakers and such are 3D printed.

BookshelvesNotGluedl_01.thumb.jpg.2d48ee352f8a5a0e1329a630a5290436.jpg

• Like 1

Posted · Uncle Creepy

Thanks :) but do not underestimate the differences in talent.

The good thing is that this has been helping redevelop my eye/hand coordination. But, still have frustration levels. But, it is improvement. :)

Posted · Uncle Creepy

This now has almost all the stuff glued into the Desk. The pieces not glued are not present in the image. The wall also has the shield, ram's skull, manacles and antique style bone saws affixed. Now that these pieces are put together, I can see where to do some colour work to make these things 'pop' out a bit better without becoming a distraction. The desk is not glued down to the floor as I still have a bit more floor work to do and it will just be easier. I also will not have to worry about breaking things when I touch up the previously mentioned areas.

DeskStuffGlued.thumb.jpg.620aa442a9f6e3ed41ee6f28066be624.jpg

• Like 3

phew.... that's.... creepy!  😨

🏆

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Uncle Creepy
    2 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

phew.... that's.... creepy!  😨

🏆

Uncle Creepy...that is 😁

Edit: I forgot one piece that probably nobody but me would miss, but it is really done now:

Actually, the glue set up nicely and this is the finished project. I may do some odd touch-ups if I see anything really amiss. That thing is about 18.5 inches from bottom of base to top of display case. The lighting is a bit more natural this go around.

Done_01.thumb.jpg.3acd1985c52c5ef368fe7f6a438f3e84.jpg

Done_02.thumb.jpg.ecb03c54d146eeca803eb3c3275c9b75.jpg

Done_03.thumb.jpg.c59d322f9a4f46e1a5d1188e03afe5f6.jpg

And all buttoned up in the display case.

Buttoned_Up.thumb.jpg.d24eecce2aed535915b4eb54e175be34.jpg

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 5

I can't say it often enough, fantastic work! 👍

• Like 1

Posted · Uncle Creepy

Thank you :)

Posted (edited) · Uncle Creepy

For full transparency, these are the objects I downloaded:

1. Crow's skull
    2. Ram's Skull

And the objects I downloaded and heavily modded:

1. Demon skulls were just basic skull models
    2. Skeletons (Where the skulls came from actually) that were modded to demon skeletons

Edit: I forgot to add these image references. For the shield, I used black and white art from the magazines in homage to the artists without trying to mimic them.

However, the Uncle Creepy version I made in 3D was greatly influenced by Bernie Wrightson.

Everything else I made.

Edited by kmanstudios

Yes, this is an impressive piece of art, both the modeling and the painting. And the printing.

• Like 1

Posted · Uncle Creepy
    4 minutes ago, geert_2 said:

Yes, this is an impressive piece of art, both the modeling and the painting. And the printing.

Thank you :) Took me long enough LOL

But, it has done a lot of good to work on it to help recover from the issues I had after surgery. I am getting my eye hand coordination back and a bit more clarity in thought and memory. :)

Posted · Uncle Creepy

Damn you work your printers hard!!. Damn good work too!! well done, I'm trying to paint my new stuff, shouldhave a few things to show soon!

Mine have it easy lately! I've been having major problems lately due to tons of rats nests (intersecting verts!), 720 of them!!

Had to go back to zbrush to cut them all out! am printing now, but i know it will fail again, just didnt know why before! my s5 print head just parks itself on the right hand side middle area and jitters there. I kinda prefered the out of print area window as this new thing just stops the print but still says its printing!

Posted · Uncle Creepy

...and your hand eye co-ord is defo looking looking on the mend to me! I got a lot of catching up to do! Im visiting HP Lovecraft material for my next prints! Keep up the massive inspiring good work!

CF

Posted · Uncle Creepy

The eye hand coordination is improving. But I am still very slow. Things that would have taken, say an hour, now takes many hours. Then, there is the 'planning' aspect of things.

The saving grace on this piece was that it is basically 'colour by numbers' by way of 'divided areas of colour'. And, it took a lot of painting over and over. Even just following rules of tone and complimentary colours was very, very tedious whereas it used to just flow from the brain to the hands.

In the effort to increase some of these capabilities and to get more on where I used to be I have been doing pen an ink drawings in the style of Franklin Booth. But, coming from you, I take this as a great compliment. And, I look forward to seeing your painted prints. :)

Posted · Uncle Creepy

Thanks Kman. and as if by a stroke of luck my model with all those intersecting verts actually printed! Im gonna try to do something arty with him because its fiction, but I still have my reanimator model that need realistic painting! gonna be fun, also still have my burger cat to paint as well!!! that ones gonna be fun!!

Great that you are feeling better and drawing is nice to do! I love biro art, but not tried the booth style. I just crosshatch very finely. Im still amazed at the amount of detail in this, just so much to look at! and the books are perfect in shape and colour too!

M