Cura Slicer Fail (Fills a big Hole)

MartinWeber

Posted · Cura Slicer Fail (Fills a big Hole)

Hi Ultimaker Community,

the Cura Slicer fills ab big hole in a cover plate that I want to print.

It is a hole for a antenna of a orangePi Zero.

I build a case for this OrangePi in blender.

The strange part is that the hole is shown in the cura edit mode

but is gone in the preview mode :-/

Can you pleas help me?

Cura Version: 4.2.1

Printer: Creality CR-10

orange-dach-2.3.stl blender.zip

Posted (edited) · Cura Slicer Fail (Fills a big Hole)

I suspect your model is not watertight, or “non-manifold”, or contains internal geometry. Blender is a mesh editor and so is very easy to have these problems. As such, Cura gets confused about what is inside vs outside.

Check “X-ray mode” in the model preview—any red is bad. Try the Mesh Tools from the Cura marketplace. Or try the repair tool at service.netfabb.com. Requires registration, but is free.

Edited by johnse
    Fix misspelling
    • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks, Martin.  I had the same problem with Cura filling what it should not and could not get it solved until I did this.  The problem is the default is that overlapping volumes will be unioned and nowhere is it mentioned that that is the case.  I just un-checked that box and model prints as I specified it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem with a file I downloaded from Thingiverse. It will slice correctly in PrusaSlicer but I am not familiar with it enough to get correct settings. Using Cura 4.8 or 4.9 it fills the holes. X-ray view shows the file is ok. Turning off Union Overlapping Volumes does nothing. I have Mesh Tools plugin installed.

Models on thingiverse are sometimes in bad shape.  It's almost certainly a defective model. There are lots of ways to fix it.  I'd start with this method:

In the upper right corner of Cura click "marketplace" and make sure you are on the "plugins" tab and install "Mesh Tools".  Then restart Cura.  Now right click on your model, choose "mesh tools" and first choose
    "check mesh", then "fix model normals" and "fix simple holes" to see if that helps.  Cura doesn't fix most issues so...

If that doesn't work netfabb will likely fix it:

netfabb free repair service is here (you have to create a free account first):
    https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Yeah, I know this is an old thread but it was one of the only ones to come up in my google search.

I had a similar problem with a soap dish tray from Thingiverse. All of the little heart holes were being filled in and I couldn't figure it out. X-Ray mode showed no problems. Selecting "Fix Normals" in Mesh Tools solved it perfectly.

I fixed this by making the same exact profile new in cura and it works...

Thank you.  You solved my issue.

So I know this is an old post but can anyone help me out with my part? I have this vase I'm trying to print for a levitation platform i have but when i went to print it it infilled my internal geometry. I disabled union overlapping volumes but still no avail.  

Twisted Cup (Final).stl

To paraphrase Yogi Berra "These posts are like Deja Vu all over again."