boep777

Ultimaker S5 issues and questions

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 issues and questions

Hi! I am using UM S5 for my business last 3 months. While the printer, features and overall experience are generally nice, printing results are not. I am not new to FDM printers but can not resolve issues. Most of them are related to print quality, it is modest at best. May be I got spoiled by MakerGear M series, but... Here is the list - suggestion are welcome!

1. PLA (all materials are UM) not great finish, stringing, basically stopped using it

2. ABS - modest layer bonding, poor model strength; periodic non-extruding, not printed areas; top surface is full of strings, cleanable but annoying

3. PVA(dry) - similar non-extruding sometimes, typically at the beginning of the print 

4. Nylon(Taulman) - some warping (layer bonding is of course great) 

Nozzles seem fine, got them cleaned periodically (couple of clogs recently). extruder seems not skipping.

additionally

is it possible to put alternative printing surface like glass laminated with PEI (want my shiny surface) or garolyte for Nylon ?

Thanks!

Edited by boep777

Posted · Ultimaker S5 issues and questions

sound like the S5 is just not working for you... 

The normal way to combat stringiness is to print at a somewhat lower temperature. Have you tried that?

@boep777, it would also be helpful if you could share some photo's of your prints. Often a picture reveals much more than a description. Can you for example elaborate on 'poor surface'? And how poor is poor model strength? What are your expectations and based on what are they not met? 

Are you using default print profiles, or have you made changes?