How to raise model from print bed in Cura

BiMNrd

Posted · How to raise model from print bed in Cura

Hi there, then I type 1mm in the Z input to raise my model from the build plate, Cura drops it back down.

Is there a checkbox of toggle I need to enable?  I want to print my parts suspended by PVA 100% like I do on my other printer.

Thank you

Posted (edited) · How to raise model from print bed in Cura

I forget where in the UI it is, but there is an option, set by default, to drop the model to the bed.

you could, though, just select “raft” from the adhesion setting, and set the raft to print with the PVA extruder.

Ah, @ahoeben beat me to it 😊

Edited by johnse

Another trick is to model in your CAD design a few dots outside of your model, sitting 1mm lower than the real model. So Cura will drop the dots onto the bed, and then the real model will float 1mm above the glass. This of course will require you to use supports for the floating part, otherwise it will print spaghetti.

I have similar case but different. I want to print multiple parts in volume. Instead spread them across the print bed, I also want to make use the Z direction so that I can increase print copy by stacking upward as well. For this reason, "raft" cannot help. Meanwhile the trick using "dot" requires to have different "dot" distance depends on which layer. Is there any way just drag the model and let it float in the air and the slicer do necessary support by its own?

I never tried it, but I would think the "dot-method" would also work with stacking, on the condition that you merge your model-stack in CAD. And export the whole combination as one STL-file. But obviously you are going to need a lot of support material if the models would be irregular, and I think the risks of something going wrong could increase as you get higher in a stack, e.g. support and model not bonding well, or underextrusion, or running out of filament... So while I do understand the desire to print as much as possible in one batch, especially if you are on tight deadlines or have a high volume to print, it is not something that I would like to do for myself. But it might work well for flat models like coins, or walls of architectural models.

So this would be the concept, in perspective and side view (just a quick and dirty sketch, don't mind the non-optimal positioning):

image.thumb.png.228214926ddd7fc104c2cebdb0b72395.png

image.thumb.png.6302ebbcb8045e4a6acd6733c0eb6d28.png

There is a setting in cura to automatically drop models to print bed. Its a check box in the options. If you disable it you can have your model float.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:30 AM, c_chan said:

I have similar case but different. I want to print multiple parts in volume. Instead spread them across the print bed, I also want to make use the Z direction so that I can increase print copy by stacking upward as well. For this reason, "raft" cannot help. Meanwhile the trick using "dot" requires to have different "dot" distance depends on which layer. Is there any way just drag the model and let it float in the air and the slicer do necessary support by its own?

Yes.  As Geert_2 says, stack the parts in the design program, do a "union" and export them from there as a single model.

But you have to print the supports between layers of parts.  Wouldn't "cycle time/part" go way up?  How about top and bottom surface finish on the upper parts?

Edited by GregValiant

Here is a spin on this (just to keep options and findings in the same discussion). When I raise my object off from Z it won't slice. Gives me 0 as the object time/size. I have supports everywhere they need to be, and under the head (it's a model) and it still will only print if I have the head on the "ground" which doesn't print well. 

Attached are the screenshots showing that support is checked, and that it works on contact but not raised. 

Screenshot from 2022-05-15 22-35-58.png

Screenshot from 2022-05-15 22-35-12.png

*****update****

So I found a add on for Cura called "Custom Supports" by Krasimir Stefanov. I was able to manually put some supports under his head and this allowed the program to then continue from that point and add the appropriate supports around him (I'll deal with the cocoon later). 

image.thumb.png.e173d7289bf9023ae82dd9454ad0dd32.png

Edited by MikeyXX
    Updating

I have been printing some models with interior supports that were difficult to remove.  I started playing with the "support flow" setting in an effort to make them weaker and yet still do their job.  I've settled in at 90% flow for both support and support interface.

@MikeyXX did you try disabling the "Mesh Fixes" / "Remove Empty First Layers" setting?