Material station and generic materials

Sassw

Posted (edited) · Material station and generic materials

Hello,

I currently have a material station.

When loading generic PLA; you cannot set a colour; so CURA and the material station think every generic PLA is the "same" regardless of the slot or what it actually is.

Is there any way to select more than just material type for each channel? 

E.g. I have inserted into the MS.

1. UM CPE
  2. Generic Yellow PLA (You can only select "Generic PLA")
  3. Generic White PLA (You can only select "Generic PLA")
  4. UM Tough PLA Green
  5. UM Nylon
  6. UM PVA

But CURA will list 

1. CPE, Generic PLA, Tough PLA Green, Nylon
  2. PVA

Thanks!

Edited by Sassw

Posted · Material station and generic materials

Hello You can create your own material profiles based on existing ones:

My Cura is in french but it the settings of Cura you should have a "material" tab. There you select the generic profile of the material you want ant the you clic "create" it wil copy this generic profile and you are able to choose color and so on for this personalised profile.

image.thumb.png.d21625a61d993d7d61b7d1a8990b91e9.png

It's a bit of work at the beginning but once you have made the needed profiles it's ok.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

I already have the profiles for the generic materials (A true generic yellow PLA and filamentive rPLA white) - how do I send these to the material station for selection?

23 hours ago, Sassw said:

Hi,

I already have the profiles for the generic materials (A true generic yellow PLA and filamentive rPLA white) - how do I send these to the material station for selection?

Not sure if this would work, but where you enter the type of filament, maybe call it like PLA Blue, PLA Yellow in the filament types?

For now, you can't. We're still very early days with the Material Station so that might change down the line.  The station will pick the material that was loaded first if it needs to pick between two generic ones.

Top priority for material alliance filaments!!

Can it be loaded via S5 REST interface to upload .fdm_material types?

Today I used the REST API to upload custom GUID and existing updated GUID profiles to achieve generic PLA colours in the material station, for now they have to be defined as new "types" of filament, not just a colour, but it works well with the generic PLA xml settings.

Edited by Sassw

Hi Sassw,

can you possibly share the xml structure and process order to do this? I have all night tried to do this with no success.

bedt regards 

hakan

19 hours ago, hakanfa said:

Hi Sassw,

can you possibly share the xml structure and process order to do this? I have all night tried to do this with no success.

bedt regards 

hakan

Sure,

The material xml is defined here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/fdm_materials/blob/master/scripts/fdmmaterial.xsd

I used this tool to auth and push to the printer:

https://github.com/flyinggorilla/ultimaker-s5

You can confirm it easily by going to the printer at:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cluster-api/v1/materials/

It also has a a swagger docs at:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/docs/api

It would probably be worthwhile for GUIDs for all materials to be centralised somewhere to stop conflicts.

Any material profiles you have in cura get send to the printer when it's connected via network, restart cura to trigger this.

You can just import you material profile into cura, no need for 3rd party tools.

If I make an export of an existing generic material, edit the name and type and GUID!, and import that material again then restart cura, wait a moment and I can select the new material...

The software does check if you have all the info for the material station and that info is subject to change still, if you get ER64 then you should get your base material profile from the http://github.com/ultimaker/fdm_materials repo.

On 1/7/2020 at 2:44 PM, robinmdh said:

Any material profiles you have in cura get send to the printer when it's connected via network, restart cura to trigger this.

You can just import you material profile into cura, no need for 3rd party tools.

If I make an export of an existing generic material, edit the name and type and GUID!, and import that material again then restart cura, wait a moment and I can select the new material...

The software does check if you have all the info for the material station and that info is subject to change still, if you get ER64 then you should get your base material profile from the http://github.com/ultimaker/fdm_materials repo.

I have not seen this behaviour with the material station, can you confirm how to actually get this to work? Currently I cannot manually load anything via the screen other than Ultimaker materials, or items added via above method - which still have to be unique filament "types".

8 hours ago, Sassw said:

I have not seen this behaviour with the material station, can you confirm how to actually get this to work? Currently I cannot manually load anything via the screen other than Ultimaker materials, or items added via above method - which still have to be unique filament "types".

Yes, you have to make it a unique type, and unique GUID by editing those fields in the XML, we're probably doing the same thing except that you can get cura to upload the XML files to the printer.

Edited by robinmdh

Hi all, I can confirm that the procedure robinmdh describes really works! Just great! Saves lot of time! How I did it - created a material in Cura (used generic PLA as base), modified the settings to match Colorfabb Special Copper - Renamed accordingly - exported it to desktop - Obs! Deleted the material from Cura - modified the xml with new GUID - imported it to Cura - and after 1 min - VOILA , its available on UM 5S

thank you robin for sharing this tip!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, hakanfa said:

Hi all, I can confirm that the procedure robinmdh describes really works! Just great! Saves lot of time! How I did it - created a material in Cura (used generic PLA as base), modified the settings to match Colorfabb Special Copper - Renamed accordingly - exported it to desktop - Obs! Deleted the material from Cura - modified the xml with new GUID - imported it to Cura - and after 1 min - VOILA , its available on UM 5S

thank you robin for sharing this tip!

I'm not really familiar with all of this stuff. What do I change the GUID to? Just a random GUID?

Edited by msgetz

11 hours ago, msgetz said:

Just a random GUID?

Basically yes, a GUID stands for globally unique identifier also known as UUID (universally unique identifier). They are randomly assigned in an address space big enough to make collisions extremely unlikely(unless we approach billions of materials).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier

There are a lot of good tools for the GUID - I use this one https://www.guidgenerator.com/online-guid-generator.aspx