akke

UM3E bed leveling - at back of the plate it's always printed too far away

Posted · UM3E bed leveling - at back of the plate it's always printed too far away

I have an UM3E with automatic bed leveling enabled but whenever I try to print a big object, the first layer isn't printed evenly on the plate.

Let me explain:

At the front of the plate the first layer is squished to the plate as it should. I think it's more or less a perfect first layer.

From the front to the back I can clearly see that the printed skirt gets smaller and smaller.

At the back of the plate it's barely staying sticking on the adhesion sheet.

I already tried manual leveling using the menu and using the calibrarion card. After manual calibration I set automatic leveling frequency to "Never" and tried again.

Yet, I got exactly the same problem.

So I wonder:  Is the UM3E still applying automatic bed correction when level frequency is set to "Never" (from a previous probe).

If so, can this be disabled? So I can still get it printed without relying on automatic leveling to function properly.

I also want to fix the automatic leveling but what can I do?

The spring at the back of the build plate is weaker compared to the ones at the front.

Is this an issues for the automatic leveling system? 

If I'm not mistaken the weaker spring at the back is normal for older UM3E printers. But Ultimaker doesn't speak about it on any web page so I don't think we, as a customer, were supposed to replace it with a stiffer one?

Any ideas or tips to fix this issue are welcome. Thanks!

Posted · UM3E bed leveling - at back of the plate it's always printed too far away

Hi akke,

the problem you described looks like a print bed heavily out of level (tilted backward), so manual leveling should be done again.

Active leveling is not able to reposition the print bed, but only measures how far it is out of level and corrects it at the first 2-3 layers which means: the better the bed is leveled (manual), the less correction the activ levelling has to do (and the less out of level is the bottom of your print).

The "weak" spring should be no issue, so it's your choice to keep it as it is or to replace it with a new one (part nr. 1788, spring DR2160).

Check, if the distance of the bottom of the heat bed and the top of the build platform is about 14mm (which is needed for active levelling to work properly)

Regards

Hi,

As explained, I already did manual leveling.. multiple times actually. It doesn’t help.

Any more advice?

Distance is about 14mm so it should be good. Yet, it keeps printing like this every time.

I do use ultimaker adhesion sheets but that shouldn’t be an issue, right... 

Just to make sure the spring isn't causing issues I've ordered the DR2160 spring to test with as soon as it arrives.

If anyone has anything else I can try, please speak 😉

Hi,

the adhesion sheets are no issue, neither for manual nor for active leveling.

When doing manual levelling, be careful not to apply any pressure (up or down) on the platform when adjusting the two front screws (happened to me: adjusted just fine with the calibration card, but when I took my hand off the screw and re-checked, the adjustment was not good and had to be redone).

The issue you describe is that the front side of the printbed is closer to the print head than the rear side.

Do the axles of the print head (especially the y-axis) sit properly in the sliding blocks?

Regards

When doing manual leveling I always make sure to not touch anything at all (except the calibration card ONLY) and I'm positive that the friction between the nozzle and the bed feels the same at all 3 points before I hit the "confirm" button. So I don't think I'm doing this the wrong way.

I'll check the axles in the sliding blocks in a couple minutes when I get back home and report back.

I don't see anything wrong with the axles. All 4 sliding blocks are fit perfectly on the axles. I tried pushing on them but it's not moving so to me it looks like it's perfectly fine.

20 minutes ago, Enigma_M4 said:

The issue you describe is that the front side of the printbed is closer to the print head than the rear side.

I'm not totally sure about this. I'm wondering if it's not an auto level correction fault or something.

21 minutes ago, akke said:

I'm not totally sure about this. I'm wondering if it's not an auto level correction fault or something.

This could be easily checked by observing the z-axis when printing the first layer: if there is a ticking sound and motion of the z-axis when printing the first layer (or first layers), especially in y-direction, then auto level correction is active.

As I see you have checked everything and made no mistake when levelling. Unfortunately, I'm now at my wits' end :-(

Regards

My UM3E's active leveling system is somehow broken. It doesn't always work anymore.

Sometimes it starts the active leveling process, the glass moves to the top but doesn't touch the nozzle. Then repeats the same process for the other printcore and comes back with a message telling me the height difference is incorrect and stops.

After repeating a couple times the printer starts it's printjob but with the issue described above.

I've ordered a new cable for the printhead as someone told me this could be the problem. I'll give it a try!

Hi Akke,

it could be worth doing two checks before exchanging the print head cable:

1. testing the capacitive sensor via maintenance menu

2. checking the sensor cable, as described in the following post:

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/20852-um3-auto-levelling-not-working/?tab=comments#comment-205252

Regards