Tough PLA doesn't load during printing

3DMP

Posted · Tough PLA doesn't load during printing

Hi,

I recently bought a UM S5 and am trying to accomplish my first print. I loaded the PVA as spool 2 and the tough PLA as spool 1. Loading the material works for both and I also get solid material pushed through the nozzle when loading. This all according the books. The problem though is that during printing the tough PLA (spool 1) doesn't load anymore. When I abort printing and pull back the filament I see that the filament is worn out by the traction wheel of feeder 1. Does anyone know what causes this?

IMG_0486.thumb.jpg.51372363fa2852e517ed94aa001bb4f7.jpg

Strange, so filament is extruding during the loading process and you get definitely filament out of the nozzle?

Check if the tension of the feeder is in the middle position, you should see a small indicator.

It seems that for whatever reason the filament cannot be extruded during your print and that's the reason why feeder wheel grinds your material. So we have to check why. Do you print with default speeds? Printing a way too fast could cause the issue. Printing too cold too. 

You can also check if you get the same result with another print core. You should have another AA 0.4 in the box.

I definitely get filament out of the nozzle.

Tension of the feeder is in the middle position.

Temperature is 210°C changed that to 220°c without result

I already replaced the printcore. Problem remained

I have to check the printspeed. I assume it's the default one.

Keep you posted!

Thanks

Marc

When you don't know the print speeds then it will be default and should not be the cause for it.

It is strange that it works during loading, but not during printing. So things like a not correct placed Bowden tube or something like this, should not be the reason, otherwise you would get the issue also during loading. 

But it is definitely something which blocks the filament to got through the nozzle. The feeder tries to transport the filament forward, cannot do that and therefore grinds the material at the feeder gear.

But to be sure, reseat the Bowden tube on both sides, print head and feeder.

Hi, I did what you suggested and it is now working fine. I have one other question though. I just noticed that the axes are not in a perfect cross. The one that goes from left to right is not aligned well (see picture). How can this be corrected?

Many thanks

Marc

IMG_0494.jpg

Hi Marc,

this misalignment of the axles requires an alignment of the print head, as described for example here:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/50871-check-for-play-on-axles

It's the procedure for the UM3, but it is also valid for the S-Series, with the exception, that you need another calibration tool as the one provided in the link (the axles of the S-Series have different diameters than the UM3).

You could use these, provided by @ultiarjan on youmagine:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-s5-axis-alignment-tool

Regards