OpenGL replacement for OS X Mojave

jan-krummrey

Posted · OpenGL replacement for OS X Mojave

Apple has deprecated Open GL for all OS versions beginning with 10.14. It is dead slow on my MacBook Pro running Mojave. Unusable. 
Is there any chance that a different rendering framework can be used?

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/OpenGL-MacProgGuide/opengl_intro/opengl_intro.html

Preferably not. Supporting metal will effectively double the amount of support required for all 3D rendering. So even though the move from Apple is understandable, it's a complete nightmare for developers that support multiple operating systems.

I am a Mac only user and have no problems with the performance. Ok, it is not the fastest application, but it is as slow (of fast) as ever. I had not problems with Majave and also not with the current Catalina.

I run Cura on a MacBook Pro 15 (2018), a MacBook Pro 13 (2018) and an iMac, all with the same performance.

But if Apple has deprecated OpenGL, I'm worried about what will be with Cura in future versions of MacOS. I hope the developers will find a solution for that.S witch to Windows or use Windows is a VM is a no go for me 🙂 

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

But if Apple has deprecated OpenGL, I'm worried about what will be with Cura in future versions of MacOS. I hope the developers will find a solution for that.S witch to Windows or use Windows is a VM is a no go for me 🙂 

Deprecating is of course not removing it all together. As long as they keep openGL in there, we will do our best to keep it working. But if they were to actually remove it and there is no alternative that works on all operating systems, i fear the worst. It make take us months of dedicated work to port it.

11 minutes ago, nallath said:

i fear the worst.

Me too, Windows.....uahhhhhhhh🤑

Posted (edited) · OpenGL replacement for OS X Mojave
    51 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Me too, Windows.....uahhhhhhhh🤑

Or linux... Can actually linux boot an a mac computer? (never had a mac...). Is Cura compatible with linux?

edit:

Just noticed when I clicked on send that my post actually has nothing to do with the topic, sorry.... But I am to interested in the answer to delete my message 😛

Edited by Curven

Is there a way to check what renderer Cura is currently using? A Radeon 560X with 4 gigs of vram should be able to handle the task with no problems.

Could you say what version of Cura you are using? Also, please go to Help -> Show configuration folder and locate the file cura.log that should be in the folder that opens. If you could upload that file and post a link here, I can see what is going on with the renderer.

Perhaps porting Cura to Vulkan is a possibility as that is supported by all platforms.

Given the number of questions why the layer view does not show a play button, there are still a fair number of users with hardware that does not even support OpenGL 4.1, let alone Vulkan.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, ahoeben said:

Could you say what version of Cura you are using? Also, please go to Help -> Show configuration folder and locate the file cura.log that should be in the folder that opens. If you could upload that file and post a link here, I can see what is going on with the renderer.

Sorry it took me a while. Here's a dump:

https://pastebin.com/QQvJFQSg

Your Cura is using hardware-backed OpenGL rendering:

2019-11-04 16:29:45,919 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [111]: Initialized OpenGL subsystems.
    2019-11-04 16:29:45,921 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [112]: OpenGL Version:  4.1 ATI-2.9.26
    2019-11-04 16:29:45,923 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [113]: OpenGL Vendor:   ATI Technologies Inc.
    2019-11-04 16:29:45,925 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [114]: OpenGL Renderer: AMD Radeon Pro 560X OpenGL Engine
    2019-11-04 16:29:45,927 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [115]: GLSL Version:    4.10.0