carminati

Basf Ultrafuse 316LX

Posted · Basf Ultrafuse 316LX

Hi everyone, 

I just bought an Ultrafuse BASF 316 LX filament and i'm going to use it with an Ultimaker S5. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tip and tricks (temperature, shell, infill, quality, velocity, sample part to create) in order to properly create a perfect green part with this new material. 

Thanks in advice. 

On 11/22/2019 at 8:43 AM, carminati said:

Hi everyone, 

I just bought an Ultrafuse BASF 316 LX filament and i'm going to use it with an Ultimaker S5. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tip and tricks (temperature, shell, infill, quality, velocity, sample part to create) in order to properly create a perfect green part with this new material. 

Thanks in advice. 

Have you tried already? Which core are you using and how you plan to do the post processing?

14 hours ago, andrefccastro said:

Have you tried already? Which core are you using and how you plan to do the post processing?

no, the filament is in transit. the core is CC 0.6 and i will send the green parts back to BASF for post processing. Did you try to extrude this material?

Carminati I did not try yet. I have a UM3 only so the CC core is not available.

I was planning to start with this kind of a materials on a prusa that I have with all metal hot end but sending the parts back to BASF is not something that I am looking for.

I am also seeing the filament from The Virtual Foundry and thinking about doing the post processing in-house (on factory).

I have tried it. It is quite the material, but you have to really get used to it. Make sure you check the requirments for debinding and sintering. We printed with dimafix on the build plate. This made sure that the model was really stuck. However this makes it important to be patient enough for it to come of. When you take the material of your print is super brittle so be very careful with it and pack it super tight before sending. I liked the service of BASF, they even debinded and sintered the parts that did not comply with their requirments. 

1 hour ago, andrefccastro said:

Carminati I did not try yet. I have a UM3 only so the CC core is not available.

I was planning to start with this kind of a materials on a prusa that I have with all metal hot end but sending the parts back to BASF is not something that I am looking for.

I am also seeing the filament from The Virtual Foundry and thinking about doing the post processing in-house (on factory).

Be aware that your feeder needs to be wear-resistant too. Not just the print core. 

4 hours ago, Job_van_gennip said:

I have tried it. It is quite the material, but you have to really get used to it. Make sure you check the requirments for debinding and sintering. We printed with dimafix on the build plate. This made sure that the model was really stuck. However this makes it important to be patient enough for it to come of. When you take the material of your print is super brittle so be very careful with it and pack it super tight before sending. I liked the service of BASF, they even debinded and sintered the parts that did not comply with their requirments. 

How much time took for the post processing including transit time? How about the cost? You think it is suitable for batches of 500 pieces? 

My interest in this filament is to use for industrial production but in smaller batches where injection and stamping does not fit in the ROI.

3 hours ago, SandervG said:

Be aware that your feeder needs to be wear-resistant too. Not just the print core. 

My feeder on that prusa is a e3D Titan Extruder Original. Even if the gear wears out it is pretty easy to replace it.

1 hour ago, andrefccastro said:

How much time took for the post processing including transit time? How about the cost? You think it is suitable for batches of 500 pieces? 

My interest in this filament is to use for industrial production but in smaller batches where injection and stamping does not fit in the ROI.

My feeder on that prusa is a e3D Titan Extruder Original. Even if the gear wears out it is pretty easy to replace it.

The cost is about 40/50 euro/chilo. I don't now anything about the transit time. I think BASF hasn't any problem in term of quantity to post-process. 

The time depends a lot on the size of your order. We in total waited 2 weeks including shipping. But i expect the more popular the material gets the shorter this time will become (expect their capacity to increase)

I still think that is not interesting for industrial customers. I would like to have the details on post processing like The Virtual Foundry gives to do it on my own.

How about the dimensional accuracy of the final part?