Cura 13.11

mattkaz

Cura 13.11 is out in the wild but don't update your firmware just yet. After having a 90% failure rate on my new Ultimaker 2 due to SD card read errors I updated my firmware. However now I cant even print beyond 1 layer heigh as the side fans no longer work.

It's certainly odd that your fans aren't working, and of course the root cause of that needs to be found and fixed. But it's not absolutely essential that they do run - the side fans help cool the plastic more quickly and so improve overhangs and bridges, and also allow you to print a bit faster. But you should still be able to print most things fine without the side fans if you slow down a bit.

Posted · Cura 13.11

Ok so maybe Daid has included a sneaky cooling option that only turns the side cooling fans on once the print has reached a couple of layers up approx 10. They are not at not 100% on but at least they are on. The might be getting faster but its hard to tell but as im writing this next to the printer they seem to be getting louder. layer by layer its getting louder maybe i should have more faith in my Ultimaker and the team.

Edit. You can select tune - fan speed whilst printing and yep they get faster layer by layer. .

Sounds like a feature. It's probably buried in expert settings somewhere.

Also note that you can always download the latest cura but *not* install the latest Marlin. Or you can always install an older version of Marlin.

On a PC the Marlin files are located here (or very similar):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_13.10\Cura\resources\firmware

And you can load the Marlin onto your UM under the "expert" menu.

Posted · Cura 13.11

I needed the latest Marlin as this has hopefully fixed my SD card read error. But the print is still ongoing so lets just hope it continues>

Posted · Cura 13.11

Apologies go out to Daid there is a new cool option for the fan that ramps it up to 100% at what ever layer you choose. Nice work but looking at the print PLA needs 100% from layer one as i think it was set to five and the base it looking a bit deformed.

Ah yes, it was mentioned in some other thread that turning the fans on right at the bottom was a bit too severe... the airflow bounces off the bed, and cools the nozzle tip too much, so Daid said that he was going to have it restrict the fans on the early layers... I'd forgotten about that.

i just upgraded to the new cura now... two liittle strange things, in layer mode, it shows nothing and there is no estimates time shown above the progress bar... ??

Ian :-)

It's a feature, too!! Mystery gcode, that takes an unknowable amount of time to print... :-)

Actually for me, on a Mac, the layers show up fine, and I get the estimated print time too. My guess would be that for some reason it isn't actually slicing for you, so there's nothing to show?

Cura does not find the USB-port where my UM is connected.

Still using Ubuntu 13.10.

Also i am currently working through this script:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:52946/#instructions

and the small box 0,4mm was sliced wrong. There where only three walls instead of four.

BTW this script was made for skeinforge. Does it apply to cura, too? I know that Cura was once SF-based but isn't anymore since 13.06.

Do I need to update the firmware on the UM2, if so is it just a case of connecting PC to printer?

Just looking at it quickly, I don't think there's much in that script that's going to help with modern Cura... it's about tuning the arcane parameters of Skeinforge. New Cura doesn't have Skeinforge (and deliberately hid most of that stuff, even when it did, in order to make the program more usable).

Regarding the missing wall... bear in mind that Cura will filter out small details that it can't print. Maybe that wall is actually fractionally smaller than the others, or has some geometry issue?

I don't think that Cura currently knows how to print any feature with just a single line of extrusion - it wants to draw a perimeter *around* an object. So (assuming a 0.4mm nozzle width) if you have a wall that is 0.8mm thick, it will print it, because it can do one 0.4mm pass along the front, and another along the back, for a total of 0.8mm. If it's less than that, it will overlap the passes to some extent, up to a point. But a 0.4mm wall (that could print perfectly well with just a single 0.4mm bead of plastic)... I don't think it prints that at all.

Mark - Yes, connect Cura to your printer over USB, and then use the update firmware option in Cura.

this is what i wanted to print last night.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/wheel-gear-for-ddr-toy-car

medium_export.png

i took it into the last version of Cura and it worked perfectly... zero problem.. plus printed beautifully with support :smile:

took the same model into Cura 13.11... and it wont touch the model... wont give print estimates and wont show layers.. ie... wont do anything with is... ? is this a bug ? or am i doing something silly ?

Thanks.

Ian :smile:

this is what i wanted to print last night.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/wheel-gear-for-ddr-toy-car

medium_export.png

i took it into the last version of Cura and it worked perfectly... zero problem.. plus printed beautifully with support :smile:

took the same model into Cura 13.11... and it wont touch the model... wont give print estimates and wont show layers.. ie... wont do anything with is... ? is this a bug ? or am i doing something silly ?

Thanks.

Ian :smile:

Try resetting your profile to the default? Maybe some setting is causing issues for you?

Thank you ! will do when I get home this evening.

Ian :-)