Front screen display was burned in now it's dying

e23

Posted (edited) · Front screen display was burned in now it's dying

My front screen was burned in and now it's dying. I can barely see my front screen display on my Ultimaker 3 now.

Anyone know if there is a way to fix this? I can't even change out filament and I can barely print by just remembering where everything is to be able to get the print process set up.

Edited by e23

Posted · Front screen display was burned in now it's dying

You can get a replacement board pretty cheap.  If it's less than a year old then probably for free.  I think it's okay to email fbrc8.com directly.  They make UM3 printers (for USA customers only)  (and S5 and S3 etc) and so have all the parts and have a thriving shipping department.

Or you can contact your reseller.  Regardless, make sure to include your UM3 serial number in your communications with either the reseller or fbrc8.

• Thanks 1

If I were to buy an ethernet cable of 25 feet (roughly) and hook it up to my 3D printer.

Would I be able to use that to change out filament on some type of screen (on my computers desktop) as well as print? So I don't have to worry about buying a new screen right now.

It prints just fine and works very well still. It's just that I can't see what I'm doing to set up the print or change out the filament and that's it.

Edited by e23

Also I think it got hit by a surge, but my surge protector protected it enough (just the screen went). Do you know of a great place to buy and/or have a great place to find a better surge protector for the U3 or Ultimaker 3?

Edited by e23

READ FIRST BEFORE REPLYING (I no longer require assistance and I fixed my problem from taking a screen from another Ultimaker 3 I have that needed parts different than the screen itself).

Note: - This thread can be closed since I fixed and resolved the problem. It took about 20 minutes to fix if not 30 minutes at most. It was actually super fast and super easy (I've been building computers for years and such so results may vary).

I Just had to pop out the dial that turns when you are making your selection then remove the nut then pop out the dial part as well as pop out the bottom piece then unplug the cables and deal with some screws. It seems kind of complicated, but it was actually super easy for the most part when it comes to hardware for tech or technology. There was a few processes and maybe a bit slight of complication to it or difficulty for that matter.

I have another Ultimaker 3 that needed a part if not a couple of parts at least. The parts required for the other Ultimaker 3 had nothing to do with the screen. I took out the board on that Ultimaker 3. Once I had done that I brought it over to my other Ultimaker 3 on the table where I had it sitting and just installed it really fast.

It works perfectly now (for the most part). The screen is basically brand new again or hasn't had any problems yet for the most part. It works absolutely perfect now.

-----

I just have to buy the part again for the other Ultimaker 3 since I removed it. Which means I still have to spend money, but I at least have one functional Ultimaker 3 from two different Ultimaker 3s that weren't working properly so I can't complain on that for now.

This is just to tell everyone and to make a note of it in case someone else is having the same problem and I no longer require any help on the issue so no one has to waste their time.

I took out the entire board and the screen to as well and replaced it with my other one (board + screen) completely. I made a video showing that it works basically like brand new, but it's used (obviously). I can figure out later if it's just the screen itself or the board, but for now the Ultimaker 3 is working.

https://streamable.com/irg9t

Edited by e23