Jump to content
jkcz

S5 Firmware Issues

Recommended Posts

Posted · S5 Firmware Issues

We purchased our S5 in July and have been using the same firmware version since then. (I think it was 5.2.11) Was pretty stable; only issues we experienced were when CPE or PC parts would sometimes detach from the buildplate and cause the Z axis to jam, then freefall and the printer would continue to print until it would complete the program. We had a few major material buildups; one time the bottom fan door axis broke right off but that is another story. Anyways, I noticed last week that there was a new update available - 5.2.24 so I went ahead and installed it. The printer acted a bit different (can't totally skip cooldown anymore!) but I didn't think much of it until I printed something overnight which also managed to detach and jam the head, almost breaking it for a second time. (Usually I check the progress but this time the camera wasn't working; neither through Cura or in the browser. If I see something odd I can pause or abort remotely). So then I checked for updates again and saw another one - 5.2.27, I installed it but the camera feed is still dropping out after a few hours of printing. The only way to fix this is to restart the machine, which means I can't really trust the printer on long, unattended prints. I would appreciate either a firmware upgrade which fixes these issues or help to downgrade to the last known stable release - preferably before the skip cooldown option was removed and where the camera feed was also still functional. We were planning on buying another S5 here at work but with my recent issues it is on hold. This is an expensive machine and it has to be more stable and dependable and less self-destructive.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
25 minutes ago, Carla_Birch said:

5.4.27 is the latest firmware for the Ultimaker S5, i'm guessing thats the one you mean you updated to?

Yes, as I wrote, I updated to 5.4.24 and after that to 5.4.27.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
1 hour ago, jkcz said:

Yes, as I wrote, I updated to 5.4.24 and after that to 5.4.27.

 

Yep but you typed 5.2.27, thats why i was checking, but guessed you had mistyped. Have you tired a cura connect reset on the printer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
4 minutes ago, Carla_Birch said:

 

Yep but you typed 5.2.27, thats why i was checking, but guessed you had mistyped. Have you tired a cura connect reset on the printer?

Oh sorry, didn't realize that. Yes I tried that earlier today and now I guess I'll have to wait and see, hopefully this fixed it. But in doing so we lost all our stats and counters, didn't realize that would happen since it's not a full factory reset. Thanks for the tip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues

So a little update - I contacted our dealer and in turn they forwarded my request to Ultimaker. I received my original firmware file - version 5.2.11; installed it and our printer is running fine now. No wasted time waiting for cooldown and the camera feed works great again. A Cura Connect reset seemed to fix it while still on 5.4.27 but I didn't test for very long so can't confirm whether or not the issue would have eventually reappeared. Thanks @Carla_Birch for the tip!

The dealer also knew about the firmware update headaches, I must have not been the only one complaining. Let's hope Ultimaker doesn't let these issues ruin their good reputation in reliability and service. I'm sure they're working hard, but personally from now on I will be waiting with available firmware updates and reading others' experiences and changelogs more thoroughly before I update our machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
dear all
I bought an S5 7 months ago, I have had various problems since the beginning and the technical service has not yet been able to solve them.
the worst happens today, I'm working for valves for hospitals, for the Covid19 emergency in Spain, this morning I do a firmware update, and the machine has stopped working, it is no longer possible to calibrate, it seems to interpret the inverted axes , calibrates from left to right and is unable to raise and lower extruder 2, a disaster
I would like to do a firmware downgrade, but my tencion service does not help me.
I read in this post that it is possible, where I can download or receive the file.
thank you very much I'm very hurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
15 hours ago, 0maquina said:

dear all
I bought an S5 7 months ago, I have had various problems since the beginning and the technical service has not yet been able to solve them.
the worst happens today, I'm working for valves for hospitals, for the Covid19 emergency in Spain, this morning I do a firmware update, and the machine has stopped working, it is no longer possible to calibrate, it seems to interpret the inverted axes , calibrates from left to right and is unable to raise and lower extruder 2, a disaster
I would like to do a firmware downgrade, but my tencion service does not help me.
I read in this post that it is possible, where I can download or receive the file.
thank you very much I'm very hurry.

 

Have you tried doing a "Cura Connect Reset" and if that didn't work, a factory reset?

 

Sorry to hear the machine is playing up with all the pressure the hospitals are under. Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
Hi

what did you mean with "Cura Connect Reset"?
I did the reset Cura, but with any change, I deleted all files and reinstalled a old version, then a new version, but  it's the same.
I did the factory reset on the S5 but the situation does not change, when I start the machine, the extruder setup starts from the "left corner", slams the limit several times, then tries to print by moving to a position that is not in the middle ... I don't understand

 

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
35 minutes ago, 0maquina said:

Hi

what did you mean with "Cura Connect Reset"?
I did the reset Cura, but with any change, I deleted all files and reinstalled a old version, then a new version, but  it's the same.
I did the factory reset on the S5 but the situation does not change, when I start the machine, the extruder setup starts from the "left corner", slams the limit several times, then tries to print by moving to a position that is not in the middle ... I don't understand

 

 



 

 

Cura Connect Reset is a command accessed via the printer settings menu. See here, second post down.

 

If you've tried a factory reset and it doesn't help, there's no point doing the above step, as it does the same - plus more.

 

Have you tried the limit switch troubleshooting steps on: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23151-the-x-or-y-axis-is-stuck-or-the-limit-switch-is-broken?

 

Also, check the print head guide rods are centred (relative to the enclosure) and firmly seated in the black, plastic sliding blocks. If the rod ends are not centred, they may not be contacting the limit switches when the print head homes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
-the limits are ok, I checked one by one, they are not broken or blocked, they give me an opening and closing signal
-the axis  are ok too, no damaged

all hardware it's ok, i'm sure!
-I reset Cura  but the situation is the same.

when I try to print, the setup starts from left to right and tries to release the extruder 2 from the other side (left)
it seems as if the "X" axis is inverted ... I don't know what to say
the only thing I did was to update the firmware to 5.5.12 yesterday in the morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
17 minutes ago, 0maquina said:

-the limits are ok, I checked one by one, they are not broken or blocked, they give me an opening and closing signal
-the axis  are ok too, no damaged

all hardware it's ok, i'm sure!
-I reset Cura  but the situation is the same.

when I try to print, the setup starts from left to right and tries to release the extruder 2 from the other side (left)
it seems as if the "X" axis is inverted ... I don't know what to say
the only thing I did was to update the firmware to 5.5.12 yesterday in the morning

 

Is it possible to take a short video of the start of the print process and upload it here? One of the other users or Ultimaker might be able to help out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues

Did you udpate with Wifi or USB? There are two firmware vs depending on the S5 design. You should use the one for the Ultibot design.

 

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/52601-update-the-ultimaker-s5-firmware?download=%2Fen%2Fresources%2F52601-update-the-ultimaker-s5-firmware

 

18 hours ago, 0maquina said:

dear all
I bought an S5 7 months ago, I have had various problems since the beginning and the technical service has not yet been able to solve them.
the worst happens today, I'm working for valves for hospitals, for the Covid19 emergency in Spain, this morning I do a firmware update, and the machine has stopped working, it is no longer possible to calibrate, it seems to interpret the inverted axes , calibrates from left to right and is unable to raise and lower extruder 2, a disaster
I would like to do a firmware downgrade, but my tencion service does not help me.
I read in this post that it is possible, where I can download or receive the file.
thank you very much I'm very hurry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues

I update the first time by wifi and has begin the problem, in second time I updat form usb but the situation it's the same.

I add 3 shorts videos, so you can see what'up:

-start print (slam limits and wrong middel position)

-calibration nozzle (try to rise up the nozzle 2 from the left side )

-abort print

 

S5_video.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
2 hours ago, 0maquina said:

I update the first time by wifi and has begin the problem, in second time I updat form usb but the situation it's the same.

I add 3 shorts videos, so you can see what'up:

-start print (slam limits and wrong middel position)

-calibration nozzle (try to rise up the nozzle 2 from the left side )

-abort print

 

S5_video.zip 124.61 MB · 2 downloads


That is not the normal place for probing. Rerun the 'Calibrate the Lift Switch' under Maintenance | Calibration

As a quick check, are the x and Y motor screws loose? They are on the outside of the machine. 4 screws per motor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues

 

hey It's working!!!
I did not understand how it may have lost this calibration.
thanks a lot!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · S5 Firmware Issues
30 minutes ago, 0maquina said:

 


hey It's working!!!
I did not understand how it may have lost this calibration.
thanks a lot!!!

 

YES!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...