Preview mode is broken

Posted · Preview mode is broken

As insulted as I admittedly feel that THAT was the first response... Yes. I did slice it, though it did not matter whether I had sliced it or not. An unsliced model in preview would appear as a translucent grey version of itself.

No, when I say blank, I mean the entire render window was completely white. The render of the printing bed was gone. The grid was gone. The model was gone. Everything was gone, replaced by a white background of nothingness, where the only thing keeping my eyes company on the screen was the UI. Even using Ctrl + A to "select all" did not work, and I know that because if no model is selected, the tool panel on the left is greyed out. It stayed greyed out.

Until I can find a fix for this, or someone else has a fix, I have already reinstalled 4.3

4 minutes ago, The_Nonchalant_Shallot said:

As insulted as I admittedly feel that THAT was the first response...

You shouldn't feel insulted, ahoeben doesn't know you or your skill level and didn't have much to go on, so it's often better to start "at the bottom" so to speak. It's not uncommon that the seemingly simplest things are the problem.

(I've been working with tech support for 3d printer for the past 6 years or so, trust me, it's not uncommon 😄 )

For the record, I did not mean to offend you. But you did not give us much to work with. Your clarification helps in getting your problem across, but there is still not much I can say about the cause of it. If you could share a Cura.log file (which can be found via Help -> Show configuration menu), there might be things in there that could give a hint about what causes the issue.

I ran into this problem and managed to resolve it as follows:-

I have an Nvidia Card, I went to the Nvidia Control Panel/Program Settings, added Cura to the list, scrolled down and checked that "OpenGL rendering GPU" was defaulted to my card and hit Apply.

When I restarted CURA all was working as it should 

Experienced the same problem, after installing Cura 4.8.0 on MacOS Big Sur 11.1. Under 'Preferences/general' I enabled the "force layer view compatibility" setting (just a guess) and did a restart. Then layer-view worked, but now x-ray didn't display anything. So I disabled above setting again and did another restart. Now everything works. Maybe just a restart would have solved it too. 

• Like 4

I've found the preview to go wonky occasionally.  Closing the application and restarting appears to solve it.

Posted (edited) · Preview mode is broken
    On 1/28/2021 at 5:40 AM, hesc said:

Experienced the same problem, after installing Cura 4.8.0 on MacOS Big Sur 11.1. Under 'Preferences/general' I enabled the "force layer view compatibility" setting (just a guess) and did a restart. Then layer-view worked, but now x-ray didn't display anything. So I disabled above setting again and did another restart. Now everything works. Maybe just a restart would have solved it too. 

You're the man. I couldn't figure out why mine stopped working. Thank you for posting!

I can see layer view now. And I can move between layers. But I don't have the play button to watch a single layer. 

Did you run into this too?

Edited by enabler

Hesc's post worked for me.  "Preferences / General" and then checked box "Force Layer View Compatibility"..  Then Restarted.... Reloaded the same model, and BAM!!! I've got a working preview.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:40 AM, hesc said:

Nailed it! Solved my problem. Thank you so much for posting your solution.

This seems to be an older post, but I thought I would add my two cents in.  I'm using Cura Version 4.10.0, and while the Preferences>General>Force layer view compatibility mode (restart requried), does change the preview of gray only to color, it does elimate the animated play.  Uncheck the Force layer view compatibility mode, and wallah, the animated version is back on, after a restart, but you're back in gray mode again.  Anyone else found out to be true as well?

Posted (edited) · Preview mode is broken

I was running Cura 4.12.1 when this issue occured to me, and wasn't able at all to recover with the previous suggestions on this topic, layer view in compatibility mode works, but it's very meh compared to the analysis options of the normal mode.

Then I tried to install a newer version of Cura, which was 4.13.1, without desinstalling the previous application yet to keep a reference, but it auto-detected that I had Cura already installed, and auto-loaded all of my application settings, in short, the application looked the exact same, and had the exact same problem of this grey preview mode.

I installed an older version of Cura : 4.11.0, older than my original version. This time, it didn't auto-detected Cura on my system, everything happened like if it was the first time that I use Cura, and the normal preview worked on a kick test !

I figured out that the problem came from my user settings for some strange reason, the simple, quick and not elegant solution is then an hard reset.

So I saved all important user data in a custom folder, even screenshots of data not exportable.

Followed this procedure to hard reset cura user data (2nd method) : https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013007080-How-can-I-completely-reset-my-Ultimaker-Cura-installation-

And reconfigured, pretty much manually cura 4.13.1 with my data.

Maybe the option "cura backups" can help, I only looked into it after all of that, so idk.

Edited by Riuza_c137