noisy

warrenmiller

I went to the ultimaker stand at the london 3d printing show yesterday and saw a few of their ultimakers and discovered that my own ultimaker seemed to be a *lot* more noisy than the ones there.

Here's a video - does your ultimaker make this much noise?

if not, do you have any idea what could be up with mine?

http://www.blockphoto.info/_temp/ultimaker.mov

thanks!!

warren

Hey Warren,

Your Ultimaker doesn't seem to be extremely loud. There are two things I noticed.

First - the sound when the z-stage stops is a bit weird. Second - movement in x direction sounds a bit "coarse" or rough.

What happens when you move the print head by hand (when the printer is off and the power cable pulled)? Do you feel a lot resistance? If so, maybe the end caps for the x/y axis are too tight. I recomend using these end caps link

Doesn't sound load to me. Maybe the Z axis - I guess everything about the Z axis is a bit loud. Did you put a drop of green grease on it?

Anyway it sounds like mine. I think it is just that your house is much quieter than 3d printing show. :)

Also consider where you have placed your machine, more specifically what you have placed it ON. I reduced my noise quite a bit by simply putting a bit of rubber underneath the machine to reduce the noise transmitted into the table (which will act as a really crappy speaker as it vibrates).

Another thing that can reduce noise is to isolate your feeder from the frame. If you unhook your feeder from your machine while printing you will notice a massive drop in retraction noise.

Yet another thing to consider is what speed you're running at. The noise will change pitch a lot depending on speed. I found that one speed in particular was driving me nuts, reducing or increasing the speed a bit changed the pitch and made it much nicer for my ears.

hi - thanks everyone. am going to try the quiet retraction parts solution from thingiverse : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53690

I agree, it might just have been a very noisy print show with all the other printers running :)

saw the ultimaker 2 there - very impressed!

thanks for your help.

warren

I love that thingiverse part. While you are printing it, or on your next print, remove the extruder from the back of the UM. Don't panic - it's much safer than riding a bicycle with no hands!

Notice how much quieter the UM is. If it is still noisy then this part won't help you. For me removing the extruder from back panel makes a big difference.

Yes, I also love the Maxy extruder housing - makes a huge difference to the noise.

Hm, maybe that's true for older revisions. I did the test (taking the extruder out while printing) and didn't notice a difference at all. I had a rev. 4 Ultimaker Original.

wow. the quiet retraction by maxy is truely awesome! much happier with my ultimaker now - don't feel like I'm going to drive the neighbours mad :)