MAKE 3D Printer Test...

illuminarti

Posted · MAKE 3D Printer Test...

Well someone's going to start this thread... it might as well be me.

The Ultimaker 2 lost out to the Replicator 2 in the http://makezine.com/magazine/guide-to-3d-printing-2014/3d-printer-overview-how-they-compare/.

Not a desperately scientific test - or at least not a very scientific write-up, so it's not clear what gave Makerbot the edge, although the review does say that the UM2 needs to 'catch up' in terms of print quality.

Does it bother any one else that they use such vastly different filament to test print? I mean I can't look at any of them and make a sound judgement because their test prints are overexposed white, others are translucent, and some are opaque... different filament print and photograph quite differently depending on colour and manufacturer.

I guess they leave that stuff in the full review?

I think they used the material supplied with the printer for the test robots, as we supply the printer with Ultimaker Blue.

The review is fair I think. The UM2 they got for review was one of the first machines we build (it was that or they reviewed the Original) so it did have a few problems. We're also fine-tuning the production process as well as the software to get even better results.

The full Make "Ultimake guide to 3D printing" is filled with more stuff (we got an advance copy send to us), I highly recommend getting a copy if you want to know what is going on in 3D printing world. It even mentions my name!

I do see at the UM2 review:

• Built-in printer interface with a user-friendly UI
    • Best-in-class software

I know I did my job :-)

Also given a good review: the Felix 2.0, as the big surprise - anyone familiar with it? Says it "prints well out of the box".

It uses SFACT for slicing, which I have never heard of. Prints slowly but has heated bed. Might beat out the Afinia.

Generally, the review seems to have been conducted early on for the UM2, so any recent software adjustments or printer issue improvements wouldn't have made it, and the article suggests as much. Whereas, the Replicator 2 is essentially an improved and upgraded version of last year's. At least that's what I took from the article.

The different filaments may be the ones that the manufacturers included with the printer - at least that's what I thought when I saw the blue used with the UM2 - it looks like the blue filament that ships with it.

What didn't look so great to me was the Form1 print. I expected it would be flawless given the technology it uses.

Does anyone know when and where the new MAKE 3D printing guide will be available in Europe?

I guess the reason the UM2 "lost" to the Replicator 2 is because it didn't produce perfect prints out of the box. In last year's review they tested the Ultimaker Original and specifically wrote that the printer was "well dialed in". So they took the time to fine tune the printer and then evaluate the print quality. I find it a bit odd that it wasn't the case with this year's review.

Especially when the "primo" features of the Rep 2 are those already found on the UM2. If one was to read only the last part of the review(s), the UM2 would be the clear winner.

Yeah, the impression I got was that the UM2 was mostly dinged for print quality based on the fact that they felt that the canned 'High Quality' setting was too fast for their little robot print, causing 'ringing'. (Might be worth adding a special 'MAKE Robot' preset in future, Daid :-) ).

Don't know when the print edition will hit the stands in Europe or elsewhere, but you can buy the PDF version from the MakerShed store - which is what I did.

And if we're bragging on getting a mention, my name was in there too :-p

This is like comparing Apples to oranges in my opinion. I used to have the Replicator 1 before trading it with a buddy. Totally different feel.

Hi all

Newbie here to the ultimaker community, found this youtube video presentation of the 2014 make 3d printer review. helps shed a bit more light on things http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gaF9Gcf3iJg.

Dont understand why the makerbot 2 was review instead of the 2x. Also why wasnt the ultimaker 1 re-reviewed like the makerbot 2, surely it had up grades since then also.

All the best

I bought the PDF of the magazine, as Id done the year before prior to buying the UM1. I have to say it didn't feel like as comprehensive review had been done this time round. I cant help but ask myself question like do Makerbot and Make magazine have a very good relationship now ? Is their marketing/branding team very good now major money is behind them. I'm not saying there was anything dodgy about the reviews but the cynic in me just wonders whether this could of had some sort of very small bearing on who pipped the other to the post ? As I say this is the cynical side of me, for all I know the Makerbot 2 really does print better than the Ultimaker 2, but there was nothing in that review that seemed to back up the results in any way. I am currently trying to decided between a Makerbot 2 and an Ultimaker 2, I dont feel like the review has really helped me decide.

I bought the PDF of the magazine, as Id done the year before prior to buying the UM1. I have to say it didn't feel like as comprehensive review had been done this time round. I cant help but ask myself question like do Makerbot and Make magazine have a very good relationship now ? Is their marketing/branding team very good now major money is behind them. I'm not saying there was anything dodgy about the reviews but the cynic in me just wonders whether this could of had some sort of very small bearing on who pipped the other to the post ? As I say this is the cynical side of me, for all I know the Makerbot 2 really does print better than the Ultimaker 2, but there was nothing in that review that seemed to back up the results in any way. I am currently trying to decided between a Makerbot 2 and an Ultimaker 2, I dont feel like the review has really helped me decide.

Well, then, what do you like more?

A company that makes closed source products, only supports their own goals. And abandoned old products.

Or

A company that makes open source products, supports development that helps not only their own printer, but a lot more printers (Marlin, Cura). And still supports their old products.

I certainly prefer the ideals of Ultimaker, and I have been very happy with the UM1, the support I've received and the help and advise Ive had on these forums. But ultimately I want the best quality 3D prints possible within my budget. This is why I was so disappointed with the MAKE reviews this year, because all I have to go on is the sentence at the end of the UM2 review saying it has some catching up to do, which I'm not convinced is true. The build volume of the UM2 is probably going to be the clincher anyway.

Hey Greens, I know what you are saying and I have been in the same predicament over recent weeks/months as to which printer to buy. Support and community spirit has certainly edged me towards the U2 aswell. Build size is also key. In the end I am pretty much 99% decided on ultimaker2, but in terms of print quality goes the Form1 was my second choice rather than Makerbot, the SLS was lovely, but expensive refills plus smaller build was a none-starter !

I hear you, I'm excited about predictions in lots of new SLS machine coming out now key patents are up but the build volumes of the current offerings un 5k are far too small for me. Maybe next year.....

Its looking like a UM2 for me. Just need to sell the UM1 to part finance it (in the for sale section If anyone's interested)

Ill be sad to see it go but I'm hoping there'll be a small step up in print quality and a bit less time spent maintaining and tinkering with the machine.

I don't think the MAKE 3d printer test i bought is worth the money. If someone is interested in a review of a specific printer i can send them a copy to save some $ :)

I wouldn't be too concerned with that test. The UM2 is still in its young age, a lot of things will be improved upon with time, as it was with the UM Original. Besides it comes with added value makerbot will never have - namely the UM community. Which in my humble opinion is irreplaceable.