PLA filament not recognized by material station

Frenzel

Posted · PLA filament not recognized by material station

Last week I installed an Ultimaker S5 together with material station and air manger. The firmware was upgraded to the latest version available. The first prints are fine. But an original Ultimaker PLA red spool was not recognized by the material station. It is not recognized in any slot wheras other material like Ultimaker PLA yellow is recognized in any slot.

So I guess that there are two options for an error:

- NFC tag of the spool is not working

- Error in the firmware of the printer that does not recognize red spools

Is it possible to get a NFC-Tag separately to "repair" the spool?

It is a pity that the user is not able to overwrite the type of material manually. The only thing to do is to choose "PLA generic" to make the filament work.

Has anybody experienced similar problems? Solutions?

Just today I tried another spool (Ultimalker PLA transparent) which is also not recognized by the material station. I would be happy to hear whether anybody else has experienced the same problems. Some spools are not recognized in any slot of the material station whereas other spools are working fine.

A not properly recognized or oriented NFC tag (e.g. very early Ultimaker NFC spools had the tag on the "wrong" side) can block the whole NFC recognition of the Material Station with the current firmware. Please make sure this is not the case.

Thanks for your advice. I doublechecked it: Tags are on the "right" side. The spools were bought one week ago from an official Ultimaker dealer.

One moe time: Is there an option to get a new NFC tag to figure out whether it is a firmeware issue or not?

It is also a pity that I cannot choose a dedicated Ultimaker filament manually. The only option is to click on "PLA generic".

This has been happening to me repeatedly as well.  Behavior and reliability seems to vary spool by spool.  If there were a way to correctly override manually this would be really helpful, since now the current "solution" is to remove and retry multiple times to eventually get it to recognize a flaky spool.

Member "Sculleyd" is absolutely right. The system does not work stable. Some spools that were fine are now recognized with the worng color. From my point of view the manual override should be implemented in the next firmware release.

Make sure you insert Ultimaker spools close to the left edge of the Bay used. The likelihood of a wrong recognition can be significantly reduced like this to my personal experience. The reason is that NFC tags are well separated from the NFC sensor of the bay right from the used one; social distancing for spools so to say...

• Like 1

Anyone willing to sell me the tags off of their "unrecognized" or empty Ultimaker filament spools? I want to try and reprogram them. Thanks in advance!

We just got the S5 and multiple spools of different colours of PLA. So far the red is the spool that goes unrecognized, the green white and black all recognize no problem.Seems like an Ulitmaker production problem.

Why doesn't Ultimaker come back with an answer to this problem?

What kind of answer do you expect? A broken NFC chip can happen from time to time. Not perfect, but also not a biggie. Just select the correct material manually and enjoy printing. 🙂

• Thanks 1

But it happens all the time, not just once at the moment 3 of my spools aren't recognised and there doesn't seem to be any activity from the manufacturer.  My investment was close to that of a small car, I sort of expected better, my naivety obviously.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:18 PM, achsmith said:

Why doesn't Ultimaker come back with an answer to this problem?

Who knows, for the money these cost. My suggestion: Keep spools that work on hand so you can slap them on, remove them quickly, and use the new spool which is obviously faulty. A firmware update that allowed you to be specific would be great, but here we are years later after OP and still it's not happening. My guess is because Ultimaker doesn't think it's enough of a problem and would rather punish users for using generic PLA. Ridiculous, but that's how it goes.

I keep the tags out of old spools that worked. write with sharpie on them so i know exactly what material they were "programmed" to. I just use one that I know works, pop the non working one out, put the working one in and wa-la! rfd is super cheap. rfd programmers are even cheaper. you could probably buy a reader and programmer for under 20$ and just program your own. 

I found a lot of generic pla works great with the ultimaker pla settings, so reusing the tags just makes things quicker for me.

On 8/1/2022 at 6:30 PM, kayakbabe said:

I keep the tags out of old spools that worked. write with sharpie on them so i know exactly what material they were "programmed" to. I just use one that I know works, pop the non working one out, put the working one in and wa-la! rfd is super cheap. rfd programmers are even cheaper. you could probably buy a reader and programmer for under 20$ and just program your own. 

I found a lot of generic pla works great with the ultimaker pla settings, so reusing the tags just makes things quicker for me.

Yeah since I'm just printing dozens of a thing for work, I"m just saving the good spool and tricking it manually. Apparently they have (finally) added the ability to manually enter the color. Huzzah! lol