Initial layer setting query.

cloakfiend

Posted · Initial layer setting query.

Hi folks, im about to print something with a large base but dont want to wait like 3 hours for all 17 layers as im printing in 0.06, and was wandering if there is a setting to somehow tell thecprinter to only print one layer for the initial layer at say 0.1mm but the rest at 0.06? If so could someone show me how. Ill admit i havent even looked into the settings of cura 4.4 yet but im in a hurry to print something thats gonna take a while and im in bed now and just thought of it! Thank you to anyone in advance if you help me. I hope there is a way!!

Sorry to beg!! As always I'm short on time to print.

Posted (edited) · Initial layer setting query.

Unfortunately, No, because all that does is print the initial layer (line) at a the selected height. usually i put like 0.1 or something....i would like to put 1.2. But im not sure how that would work as its a bit thick for a single layer considering im printing at 0.06? I was morethinking about if it was possible to print without a base layer yet? And just from the walls? Skipping the time filling in the base. It would save me about 2-3 hrs.

I.e. hollow with no base.so when you take it off its hollow and you can see the inside. If that makes sense?

One of the devs said it would be possible to replace it with an infill amount when i brought it up ages ago but not sure if it was actually implemented....eitherway i have a touch more modelling to do before i print my object. 

Edited by cloakfiend

Hm, maybe I get the idea... its kind of a figurine or something with a pedestal, and you are thinking of printing the pedestal very quickly - is that correct?

Of course, you could always go the pathway of doing custom supports infill where you want it, and then disabling supports infill in Cura completely. The layer height problem remains... I can only think of using adaptive layer height throughout the print. Unfortunately, Cura doesn't have the manually changeable implementation that PrusaSlicer has for this, which would achieve exactly what you want.

What you have to be aware of, is that of course the difference between the layer heights will be visible - thicker layers have a completely different look. If you're smoothing/painting/plating the object anyway, that is no problem, of course.

Edited by P3D

Yes im printing a large trophy with a large base that gets narrower as it goes up so waiting for hours for a base that inwill add to later anyways would be a monumental waste of time for me. Especially at 0.06 layer height! I want a print without base setting ideally. 

That may be a stupid question... but is it an option to print trophy and base seperately and later glue them together?

Lol i meant the base layer of the trophy lol. Im already printing it in two halves. Its too tall as it is and im printing the base on my um2 at the same time. I guess just looking at it againt the top half wont be so bad but the very bottom is big See pic.

1582279643545-369744301.jpg

Ah, I see. Well, I guess you could do three parts then... or else try the adaptive layer feature, possibly also the gradual infill option.

Ill just leave it then i have no time to experiment with settings and dont want any nasty surprises! Lol i've have my share of those lately!

...and spliting the model in three means three base layers!! Exactly what im trying to avoid in the first place!

Edited by cloakfiend

Would it be an option to hollow-out the model in CAD, instead of in Cura?

Let's say we have a solid cube. Then, in DesignSpark Mechanical you can delete one face, and set a wall thickness for the remaining walls (so it is printable). This turns the object from a solid cube into a hollow cup.

I don't know if your software has such an option?

Also, make sure you have enough contact-area to ensure a good bonding to the glass. This may depend on the bonding method. For my "salt method", a single wall is good for low flat objects, but it is likely to come off for high objects, or objects with overhangs. I don't know for glue-methods, as I haven't used glue in years.

This is what I mean: (my statues are not as artistic as yours.  :-)

image.thumb.png.52118344408625aaf352ae6a2016a160.png

9 minutes ago, cloakfiend said:

Ill just leave it then i have no time to experiment with settings and dont want any nasty surprises! Lol i've have my share of those lately!

...and spliting the model in three means three base layers!! Exactly what im trying to avoid in the first place!

A-ha! So if that is what you're trying to avoid, you always can set the bottom thickness to 0... image.png.a9ef941404e8483493008958a9081ecc.png

Yes just the bottom thickness! Im assuming that wont change the bottom layers as with the old cura and jusy the 1 bottom layer? Not the bottom layers, as i see a setting fot that too? I hope so. Im going to print the base at .2mm as it has no details and just filler up the holes. Or 0.1mm. No point in 0.06 for that part which I need to priny seperately anyway! 

Thanks for the help @P3D and @geert_2

....and im too lazy to hollow out lol. I have no time for that. Because i may print in different sizes and id need to constantly keep changing the thickness that way! Thanks again. Hope it works!

Check the "Initial Bottom Layers" setting. The Bottom Layers setting also affects parts of the model higher up (basically anything that overhangs even slightly); the Initial Bottom Layers only affects the part of the model touching the buildplate.

Cheers! yes that what i thought. I got an extra day tonprint now so i can relax a bit! 

Thanks @ahoeben

You can use the "post processing" under "Extensions" in Cura to make g-code changes at x height.

2 minutes ago, NBull said:

You can use the "post processing" under "Extensions" in Cura to make g-code changes at x height.

Thats too complicated for me. Id rather just have an option to not print the bottom layer touching the build plate or else ill just leave it. Escpecially as im short on time and am using both new firmware and software for the first time. Ive no time fiddle and mess about unfortunately. I will have to try that stuff once i have time to fail.

It is also unnecessary because the Initial Bottom Layers setting does what you need. It is meant for this specific scenario.