UM 3 extended irresponsive

Sergio1288

Posted · UM 3 extended irresponsive

After I finished loading a new spool of PLA, the screen froze with the ULTIMAKER logo for a few minutes. I gave it a chance and after a while I tried rebooting it. Fans spun for a couple of seconds, and then turned off. I waited a minute or two, but no activity anywhere else. Just a dark screen. Screen never came on. Powered off and on again with the switch. Same thing, fans spun for a couple seconds then shut down and no more signs of life. I have already tried removing the wifi card and disconnecting NFC cable with no success. Any suggestions ? Video 3.mov.zip

Often it is the power brick.  These things are way too complicated and have too many parts that can break (reminiscing about the good old days when power supplies were simple).

I actually had a power brick that if I unplugged it from power for a few hours it would come back to life.  A *different* power brick (both for Ultimaker printers) died for 24 hours - still wouldn't work.  Threw it in a box for a year.  Now it works fine!! 

If your fans buzz briefly, then your main electronics board is getting power. That means the issue is most likely at the wifi board or Olimex. Since you've already tried booting up without the wifi board, my best guess would be that the Olimex board is failing. You could try re-imaging it, but given that it's not stuck on the Ultimaker logo screen at this point, I'm more inclined to think it's a hardware issue rather than a firmware one.

Thanks for the help. I've had the printer little over a year, so warranty is problem not an option

Well it's definitely worth it to buy a replacement olimex from fbrc8 if you decide the problem is the olimex board.