Cura is generating unecessary supports

panakon

Posted · Cura is generating unecessary supports

Hello, I am new to 3d printing and i tried to print this part to upgrade my Anet A8 but when I select generate support , it generates those weird support stuctures that doesn't seem to support anything.

1394929746_(251).thumb.png.a88a3aebe67e3c2d2774d20d29099e20.png716597314_(252).thumb.png.64d6894d2d88f4a5ddd664e697b1d4d3.png

I tried to find the setting to disable it and generate only the supports that I need but I coudn't find it, so I printed it. The cylinder, right one , was inside a hole and was a nightmare to remove and I almost damaged the part trying to pill it out. I'd like to reprint the part but first I need to disable these small supports. I really try to understand how the software works and what setting should I use for each part as as of now I find it really enjoyable but this really messes with my head. 

If you have any idea of what is causing this or a way to work around it, I'd be very thankfull.

If you turn the right side in this image to be down you might not need any support.  Not sure - I need to see the part better from all angles.

I usually just create my own custom support in CAD if cura doesn't figure it out right away but there are tons of settings you can play with - maybe the x/y wall distance is the one you want?

how do you control where the supports are placed?  It's so difficult to remove them and I feel that I can minimize them using Tree supports.  Im new to 3d printing, but my hands are all cut up and I have had to throw away too many projects from damaging them removing supports.

To my expirience so far, using 1 line wall  support seems to be easy enough to remove. Im new to this too though and I don't know if this is enough for bigger prints or if are there any other options.