PET-G Recommendation.

Ishy

Posted · PET-G Recommendation.

Hi, I'm printing some visors for NHS from PET-G. I've been using Spectrum filament that I tried from a recommendation on here. The print quality is superb and it's really not expensive but I can't get any in the UK currently as it's out of stock.

My printer is an Ultimaker S5 so needs to be 2.85mm and as I'm supplying free of charge price is important so can't afford Ultimaker CPE.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated thank's.

I can't get PETG to work on my ultimaker 3 extended :( I've tried 8 different variations of settings and I can't stop the bubbling and stringing that ruins the print after 5-9 layers. Can you please please please list all the settings and everything in Cura to make this happen? I'm trying to figure out if I can make face guards but only have PETG. My printer works wonderfully on PLA.  I'm desperate :( thank you world :)

92045318_868004660292648_6611271097495060480_n.jpg

92693630_677238486360879_5893101773320617984_n.jpg

Strange I print with mostly PET-G and really pleased with the results. I will gladly put my profile here if someone will explain how I do it.

I think your problem is infill speed. I have reduced it to 40mm/s otherwise it will create blobs like yours.

Oh yes please please! I'll absolutely take that profie!!! Thank you!!  While leaving this comment there' a choose file option so I'm not sure how to export a profile from cura but I'll absolutely give it a shot 🙂

Also, for infill speed, thank you so much, I'll try that right now and see how it goes. Ya'll are amazing and I can't thank you enough 🙂

I am in the same boat having issues with using Pet-g filament after trying lots of different settings etc, as for stockiest the college i work for get all 3d printing materials from RS components they have stock of Pet-g as of 5 mins ago.  

If you use the link I posted above, pick one of their petg materials then you'll find "Cheat Sheets" for different slicers.

This might not fit materials from different vendors but it will be a good start.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KodamaBebop said:

Oh yes please please! I'll absolutely take that profie!!! Thank you!!  While leaving this comment there' a choose file option so I'm not sure how to export a profile from cura but I'll absolutely give it a shot 🙂

Also, for infill speed, thank you so much, I'll try that right now and see how it goes. Ya'll are amazing and I can't thank you enough 🙂

Give this a try and let me know how you get on. I'm using Cura 4.4.1

PET-G PROFILE.curaprofile

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing but unfortunately it doesn't load in cura? 

The file comes out as "1113205392_PET-GPROFILE_curaprofile (1).3be41f19135ee9a8651b1877af41bd51"  and that's it. I've tried renaming it but it doesn't work. Thank you so much 🙂 I'm super excited to try it out! 

Hi I used Prima EasyPrint PET-G in my UM 2+ Remember to pre-heat...

I attached my materiel file hoop it helps.

Hade slip from the bed a few times until i bumped the bed heat.

PrimaEasyPrint-PETG.xml.fdm_material.zip

Been having a super difficult time with PETG (non-ultimaker) on a couple UM3 printers we have in our group. DEFINITELY looking for a good PETG profile! Thanks Ishy for sharing! I'm not able to load the profile as well it seems.

10 hours ago, KodamaBebop said:

Thanks for sharing but unfortunately it doesn't load in cura? 

The file comes out as "1113205392_PET-GPROFILE_curaprofile (1).3be41f19135ee9a8651b1877af41bd51"  and that's it. I've tried renaming it but it doesn't work. Thank you so much 🙂 I'm super excited to try it out! 

Well that's strange, I've just imported that file myself and it works ok. Anyone else like to try?

Yer I tried to download it, not wanting to go into cura even when trying to force it in could be because using cura 4.5 not compatible files? I used the cheat sheet that @AndersK and made my own profile was a lot better overall but still a lot of stringing and build up on the nozzle 😞 

Looks like the forum is just having us download it in a weird format. Changing the file extension to .curaprofile worked!

Thanks for sharing - will give this a go.  

Its zipped file so try unzip and it should work.

With my UM2+ i can print directly on the glass (make sure its clean) with normal CPA, you can create your own material file and start with that as a base and modify it to get the result you want

28 minutes ago, mhigginsmoy said:

Looks like the forum is just having us download it in a weird format. Changing the file extension to .curaprofile worked!

Thanks for sharing - will give this a go.  

Good, let me know how you get on with. Be interesting as my prints come out perfectly every time.

Posted (edited) · PET-G Recommendation.

Prints are looking great now! Tiniest bit of stringing, but no major problems. Now time to optimize for speed! 

Taking a look, it looks like that combing mode makes the largest difference. Setting it from "All" to "Not in skin"  "None" was the solution.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by mhigginsmoy
    With layers at 0.3 trying to speed things up, I had trouble with "Not in skin" used in the profile posted by Ishy

That cheat sheet actually ended up helping! There were so many adjustments to be made and I just wish I could understand what each one does, and why it was set to that specific numbers. The infill shape of concentric was a major turning point for me, but considering I'm not well versed in the PHYSICAL consequence of certain settings, I have no idea how to even go forward trying to make it faster. 

Mhigginsmoy, could you maybe share some of your experiences with optimizing for speed? My print in PLA is 3hr24m but on the PETG cheat sheet settings it's 5.5hrs. Once I get up like 20 layers, the pattern is pretty simple so I imagine increasing the speed there would help? But I have no idea how to do that 😞 

Also just wanted to say massively thank you to everyone who participate in this. I was terrified I wasn't going to be able to fix this but ya'll seriously stepped in and I really can't thank you enough. It's you people, the support chat and this community that's the ONLY reason I haven't quit. Thank you for inspiring me and helping me folks.. 

• Like 1

Biggest thing for speed is the layer height. With the standard 0.4mm nozzle we can increase that to 0.3mm. My print time went from 5.5hrs to 3.5 hours. I'm no expert by any means but will share what I come up with. 🙂 

The print speed using the profile I put up, can be reduced simply by increasing the layer height to .2mm with little impact on quality.

Hey ya'll, just an update. I've got my machine printing basically at 98 percent perfect! I was able to take a face shield file from something like 6 hrs, down to 5.5, down to 4h45, and now I've got it at 4hr 23min.   I was mostly fine tuning speeds and the quality is nearly the same.  I figured, first, that I'd share this and maybe it could help someone else. I'd def love feedback if you can improve it, or if it needs improving. 

I don't completely understand why the prints are doing so well and wish I could isolate the primary variables that made this possible.  I hope you guys are doing better than I am and we can keep improving this PeTg fiasco!!  🙂 I'm about to take the layer height from 0.18 to 0.3 and see what happens. I took it up to 0.2, an awful print that I had to cancel. I'll be back with updates but i'd love to hear how ya'll are doing. 

😄 

petG-cheatsht_version_3.curaprofile