Help with my snap lock design

Posted · Help with my snap lock design

I would suggest you add pictures to your post. Then you are more likely to get good answers.

You can drag and drop JPG- or PNG-files directly from Windows Explorer into your post while editing. Set the cursor on the desired place, and then drag the picture into there.

The reason is that the amount of phishing and hacking has increased a lot since the corona-crisis, so people are less and less willing to open unknown files from people they don't know very well.

Without having seen your design (for that reason), my general experience with snap fit things is that it mostly depends on the material it is printed in. PLA works a couple of times, but then tends to break, while PET will keep working longer, provided that the design is good. But the layers may hinder smooth sliding, depending on the printing orientation.

Not a snap lock, but it goes into the same direction. This carabiner in PET (green) keeps working well. In PLA (cream) it tends to crack after some time, and it tends to deform permanently.

DSCN6055.thumb.JPG.c9f2aa4f551f913408727e004905b944.JPG

Posted · Help with my snap lock design

Hi BeyChamps,

Welcome in here.

I've looked at your snap lock box and have some opinions for you.

Your models "stl" file is saved with the box and the cover at different height

First thing is to move the snap lock holes so they are placed in the middle of the flange, doing this will avoid cracking the outer surface of the box where the holes are located. The wall is very tiny right there.

Save your cover and box into two separate files, by doing this the snap lock box with cover can be printed one by one, without any stringing between the two parts.

Due to the nature of thermoplastic, you may have to do some test print to make the friction right for the two locking tabs.

Here is a picture from Cura (ver 3.6):

Capsule_W_Snaplock.thumb.jpg.6b962aced1a4242a83a0db4392c97ab1.jpg

If you need to have your model in one file, do this:

Capsule_W_Snaplock_layout.thumb.jpg.b259545a82e7a6ebf75c00bcbe5c3418.jpg

Make sure that the cover up side is resting at same level as the box.

Ok. Hope this is what you're looking for.

Thanks

Torgeir