I think I have found part or perhaps all of the problem. I decided to check the tension on the feeder for the left side. The tension indicator was all the way at the top, which I think is minimum. I could not adjust it, so I removed it, following the instructions in the manual for gear lubrication. Took it apart on my bench and found that the adjusting bolt did nothing, It should, when tightened, force the spring tension higher, and all it does is screw down tightly to the plastic piece inside the spring. Something is missing that would hold that bolt captive and force the spring closed. I'm going to tech support at Matterhackers, where the printer came from, to see what can be done. Looks to me as though the assembly will have to be replaced. But without the proper tension, I can see why the extrusion was insufficient, and the tough PLA stopped extruding.
Aborting the print because when I returned to find the problem way too much time had elapsed and when I tried to resume, the print was ruined. Continued aborting while trying to figure out why, and things got worse and worse.
I don't disagree that cool down times are causing it to do this behavior, however, in the past there was an option to skip the cooldown, along with some other screen prompts indicating what it was doing. Those are gone. The factory reset, I thought, would be an option, but it is grayed out. It was NOT asking if the print was removed.
I ended up re-loading the firmware, some of those messages re-appeared, but am still having issues. Despite numerous cleanings of the print head and plastic flowing properly when loaded, extruder one continues to NOT extrude.
I've decided that the print cores have somehow become damaged, and have order two new ones to see if that will fix the problems I am having. Even when the extruder was putting out material, the print was stringy and appeared to be under extruded.
This printer is less than a year old and has never had anything but tough PLA, PVA, ABS and nylon run through it. This behavior has just begun, as of the date of this post, and I am to the point of putting in a service request with Ultimaker to try and figure out why the printer has gone nuts.
Frustrated. Especially when, on the same day that all this started, it did a perfect two color print of one of my designs that was a 16 hour print. This mess started when I tried to print some keycaps to go along with that project.
Before I give up and get on the phone, I am going to try one more model that has printed without errors in the past to make sure my currently failing model isn't the issue.
Thanks for your comments.
Link to post
Share on other sites