S5 hangs on aborted print -- why???

Geep

Posted · S5 hangs on aborted print -- why???

I've had to abort several prints today due to a supposed material runout -- not the case, but printer keeps stopping.  When I tell it to abort, it seems to work, but ends up in some sort of loop with an X on the screen.  After it sits for a while, or I turn off power and return it, it comes back with a print finished message and a yellow check mark.  And sits.  And sits.  And does nothing.  No functioning controls, no way to reset the printer.  I turn off power again and let it sit five minutes and it comes back and tries to re-print the aborted job without asking.  Cura 4.4, firmware 5.5.  Mac OS.  I tried the 4.5 Cura update and had issues so went back to 4.4. I reset Cura connection without any help.  Going to do a factory reset when it will come up again and see if that fixes it, but both reset commands are greyed out while in this condition.

This has become REALLY irritating.  Anyone know why it's doing this?

• Like 1

Why are you picking to abort the print on the material run out?

If its a false reading you can pick to carry on printing/ turn the sensor off  and then when the prints done. Turn it back on and look into why you getting a false run out (tension wrong on feeder/ filament wet/ feeder needing a clean).

When you abort a print, you got to wait for it to cool down the build plate so its safe to remove, now if you printing at a high temp with a hot build plate thats going take sometime and when cool it asks you to confirm the prints removed.

Maybe your turning the printer off why its still cooling down? If not you could always factory reset from the printers menu.

Aborting the print because when I returned to find the problem way too much time had elapsed and when I tried to resume, the print was ruined.  Continued aborting while trying to figure out why, and things got worse and worse. 

I don't disagree that cool down times are causing it to do this behavior, however, in the past there was an option to skip the cooldown, along with some other screen prompts indicating what it was doing. Those are gone.  The factory reset, I thought, would be an option, but it is grayed out.  It was NOT asking if the print was removed.

I ended up re-loading the firmware, some of those messages re-appeared, but am still having issues.  Despite numerous cleanings of the print head and plastic flowing properly when loaded, extruder one continues to NOT extrude.

I've decided that the print cores have somehow become damaged, and have order two new ones to see if that will fix the problems I am having.  Even when the extruder was putting out material, the print was stringy and appeared to be under extruded.

This printer is less than a year old and has never had anything but tough PLA, PVA, ABS and nylon run through it.  This behavior has just begun, as of the date of this post, and I am to the point of putting in a service request with Ultimaker to try and figure out why the printer has gone nuts.

Frustrated.  Especially when, on the same day that all this started, it did a perfect two color print of one of my designs that was a 16 hour print.  This mess started when I tried to print some keycaps to go along with that project.

Before I give up and get on the phone, I am going to try one more model that has printed without errors in the past to make sure my currently failing model isn't the issue.

Thanks for your comments.

I think I have found part or perhaps all of the problem.  I decided to check the tension on the feeder for the left side.  The tension indicator was all the way at the top, which I think is minimum.  I could not adjust it, so I removed it, following the instructions in the manual for gear lubrication.  Took it apart on my bench and found that the adjusting bolt did nothing,  It should, when tightened, force the spring tension higher, and all it does is screw down tightly to the plastic piece inside the spring.  Something is missing that would hold that bolt captive and force the spring closed.  I'm going to tech support at Matterhackers, where the printer came from, to see what can be done.  Looks to me as though the assembly will have to be replaced.  But without the proper tension, I can see why the extrusion was insufficient, and the tough PLA stopped extruding.

And that is, in fact, the problem with all the print issues.  The other problem regarding the long waits and lack of guidance on why went mostly away with a reload of the firmware -- the SAME firmware -- and a factory reset.  The extruder has been cobbled together, using a nut I found in the junkbox that fit the bolt and a couple of washer to get the tension back to almost midway. It works, but not a permanent fix.  I have a query in to Ultimaker and Matterhackers about fixes and/or replacement extruders.  I'm a bit irritated as I've had this printer only since mid-September, something like this shouldn't be breaking as the machine has been lightly used, and not at all for the last two months.  Will be interested to hear what response I get from the seller and the manufacturer.

I have the same problems with my S5 Pro and the latest firmware. Abort print leads to an endless loop which has nothing to do with cooling down the nozzles or the build plate. I left the printer overnight and found it in the morning still displaying the 'please wait' message. Just to be sure, I re-installed the latest firmware, without any result.

Also, with my previous Ultimaker, the 2+ connect, 'skip cooldown' worked perfectly. In my S5 Pro, however, the option is even greyed out!

It would be great if Ultimaker would be to provide a firmware update asap to resolve these basic issues. Fingers crossed :)

I've heard that after you upgrade the firmware you have to do a "factory reset" sometimes.  This sounds like that issue.  Maybe.  I recommend you try that to see if it solves your issues.  Unfortunately you may lose your calibration data (not sure).  I think you can probably see the calibration data if you put in a particular pair of cores and go to the menu item that lets you set XY calibration values directly - I think it shows the current values and you can write them down.

Got the same problem when aborting a print.  Sometimes it just hangs and I have to switch off the power and waste a lot of time. Any quick fix?

(Please don't discuss why you need to abort a print. Just stick to the issue of not  be able to print after aborting).

@gr5 did you go any further with the 'factory reset' idea?

1 hour ago, thorsenrune said:

Please don't discuss why you need to abort a print.

I think that discussing why a print is aborted is perfectly fine as it can lead to new information for more a better print experience. Especially if you are new to printing.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:27 AM, thorsenrune said:

Got the same problem when aborting a print.  Sometimes it just hangs and I have to switch off the power and waste a lot of time. Any quick fix?

(Please don't discuss why you need to abort a print. Just stick to the issue of not  be able to print after aborting).

@gr5 did you go any further with the 'factory reset' idea?

I always find it best to find the route of a problem, so having to abort a print due to a failed print or anything error to me mean finding out why you had a fail/error and first fixing that. To me you should hardly never need to abort a started print on the S printers unless you having a failed print.

Posted (edited) · S5 hangs on aborted print -- why???

Well, if you forgot something you will abort

If bedadhesion goes wrong you will abort.

If .......

A zillion reasons to abort

The thread should be about how to resolve the Hanging problem in  the title. Please

BTW. maybe its solved with yesterdays firmware update !?

Edited by thorsenrune
    • Like 2

This is the most frustrating behavior I have endured with a printer.
    Ultimaker S line are like a nanny, they do not permit you to fix the problem until the bed is cooled down so you can not endanger your fingers from warmth.
    Even pulling the plug doesn't let you work, it forces you to wait for 10 minutes and lose that time infront of a dead printer.

How on earth is that not fixed ? 

You can disable the feature pretty easily with this tool:

Posted (edited) · S5 hangs on aborted print -- why???
    8 hours ago, gr5 said:

You can disable the feature pretty easily with this tool:

Thanks for the share, I solved it yesterday by modifying the files directly on the printer.
    Though that is not how it should be. At that price I would expect a printer to offer these things natively on the menu.
    The vast majority of users will never solve this, they will just waste hours to days of useless waiting time.

In my case the ASA filament was not extruding, the flow sensor didn't see the issue and all I wanted was to stop the print and move filament. Took me half an hour, should have taken me 30 seconds.

--

For completion:
    1) enable developer mode
    2) SSH in root/ultimaker
    3) apt-get update; apt-get install nano
    4) nano /usr/share/okuda/Okuda/QmlPlugin/Okuda/Defines.qml
    Modify the temperature from 60 to 110; Ctrl+X ; Yes

Edited by hako
    • Like 1