How come my supports keep coming loose?

furkasocal

Posted · How come my supports keep coming loose?

Hello all,

I keep having my supports come loose on this big ABS train car I am trying to print. As you can see in the pictures I attached there is a overhang and then the windows which I am using the support for. A few times the support has just fallen out or had terrible adhesion.  I also attached a picture of my settings, I was thinking of reducing everything by half so that the support is closer to the main body of the print? Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2CAA8E2E00E6_1587997939499~2.jpg

IMG_20200427_094408.jpg

IMG_20200427_094502.jpg

IMG_20200427_094533.jpg

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question as I rarely use support - I usually design my own.

Is this your design?  If so note that the top of the windows don't need any support - but that the "shelf" a few mm higher up above the windows *does* need support as printers can bridge the tops of windows just fine.  However if you angle that at 45 degrees it shouldn't change the look of the train car at all and then it won't need any support.

So if it were my design I would make the upper walls of the train get thicker more slowly - at 45 degrees.  And I would set support to "touching buildplate" instead of "everywhere".  I would probably also modify those other parts but I don't know what they do so I don't have suggestsions other than to do the support for those in cad (just a thin wall supporting the outer edge of those two attachment things).

• Like 1

That's a good idea regarding the 45 degrees above the windows. That's totally doable as that inset is for a plexiglas window pane and wouldn't be visible from the outside. I started using supports everywhere because I didn't have alot of success with clean bridging. Do you have any quick suggestions? I have to print in ABS for these parts. 

For bridging it's good to experiment with a tiny part first.  google around for advice.  If you get the @burtoogle version of cura it has a lot more bridging options but I can't tell you what will work best for you.

This is the version of Cura I usually use: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0&lst=

I mean if you want really good quality I suppose I would print it in 3 different wall panels flat on the bed.  Maybe.

could this have anything to do also with my support Z distance settings? or XY distance?

I don't know. If supports are coming off, I'd suggest you need a thicker, more sturdier type of support. Tree supports are effective, but pretty hard to remove. I'd go with a stronger support infill.