Poor finish/continuity on round print

Posted · Poor finish/continuity on round print

I am printing a pint glass of usual dimensions, standing up-right, but as I watch my printer work, I am noticing that the round o.d. of my part is more like a 100-sided round-ish polygon. Is there a way I can eliminate this appearance from my prints? Is it software, model, printer, or operator error? I calibrated my XY last time I loaded an AA 0.4 print core for use with breakaway material. Could something I did incorrectly during calibration be the reason for this issue?

IMG_8131.jpg

When you create a STL file from your CAD model any circle or arc shape is converted in small line segments. Depending on the CAD software you use there should some sort of settings to control that. Here's an example from Keycreator.

image.png.d1fbf6b136ac27801201c09d2a39cf04.png

1 minute ago, the860engine said:

I have been using SW to generate models for my s3. Are you familiar with where settings might be? I feel like SW doesn't give you as many settings when generating an stl file, though.

Agreed, have been using solidworks and was not familiar with any options. Having the same troubles so commenting for notifications lol

I don't know how to set that up in SW or NX but if you want you can send me your model in STEP or X_T and I'll convert to a finer STL file using Keycreator.

framar@ipexinc.com

@Framar what kind of software is keycreator? how much does it cost?

Posted (edited) · Poor finish/continuity on round print

the surface smoothness (or lack thereof) in the STL file can be clearly seen after slicing in CURA's preview when zooming in on the details from different angles.

in case anybody is interested: these settings give very smooth STL results in VC:

ViaCad_STL_Params.jpg

Edited by Porkpie

On 4/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, Framar said:

When you create a STL file from your CAD model any circle or arc shape is converted in small line segments. Depending on the CAD software you use there should some sort of settings to control that. Here's an example from Keycreator.

image.png.d1fbf6b136ac27801201c09d2a39cf04.png

Luckily, I still have access to student licensing, so I downloaded the student trial of KC to check some of the features it offers. How do I get to these settings for my model? would I need to import my model, first, as a .prt to save as a parasolid? Do these options just present themselves at time of save, or are there deeper settings?

Hi there, 

• Open Keycreator and IMPORT your solidworks file. Keycreator can read SW files but if it fails then I suggest you save your file in X_T format and then import in in KC.
    • Once the file is open in KC go to FILE<EXPORT<SEREO LITHOGRAPHY and select the model to export as STL. When you're prompt to give the file a name click on the OPTION button. This will bring you a dialog box. The lower the tolerances, the finer the STL will be.

image.thumb.png.1ced88bd478b6f777b71133da140b29e.png

Let me know how it turns out !?!

It seems to have worked out really well! I don't have plans to reprint that model right now, but you can tell already from the attached views from KC that the model has been created with much finer tessellation.

fine stl.jpg

rough stl.jpg

On 4/29/2020 at 4:26 PM, willryan3 said:

Agreed, have been using solidworks and was not familiar with any options. Having the same troubles so commenting for notifications lol

@willryan3 stumbled across this in my digging through SW. You need to set you STL output parameters in the system options/document properties-->Export/Import menus. Sorry the image is so sloppy (comp screen with cell phone camera), but I hope this helps!IMG_8343(1).thumb.jpg.42dea5a1eb87b8ca35fca103229edd1b.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 7:44 AM, the860engine said:

@willryan3 stumbled across this in my digging through SW. You need to set you STL output parameters in the system options/document properties-->Export/Import menus. Sorry the image is so sloppy (comp screen with cell phone camera), but I hope this helps!IMG_8343(1).thumb.jpg.42dea5a1eb87b8ca35fca103229edd1b.jpg

Thank you! I will look into it and give it a try.