Cura 4.6.1 Flow Rate Problems

Intelekt

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.6.1 Flow Rate Problems

Hi,

I am trying to calibrate my Ender 3 pro to the new Cura 4.6.1, by printing a cube to measure flow rate.

i am aiming for a wall width of 0.8 but my printer prints 0.88 with a 100% flow rate, so I do the flow rate calculations and lower the flow percentage in Cura to 93% but still get 0.88.

If I lower the percentage to something crazy like 50% I still get 0.88 width, so obviously this setting isn’t working.

Is this a known problem?

Its driving me mad!

thanks

Ade

Edited by Intelekt

Posted · Cura 4.6.1 Flow Rate Problems

Is anybody there?

😁

Ive tried simplify3d and that works as it should, but my Cura flow rate is staying the same whatever i set it to.

Just tried a single wall 0.4 cube on 100% flow rate and got a 0.46 wall width when measured with a calliper, so i adjusted it down to 86% flow rate which should correct the issue and yet i still get a cube with a wall width of 0.46!!!!!

HELP

PLEASE

I just want to know if anyone else has this problem or if a fix is being worked on or if its just me!

Thanks again

Ade

How do you change the flow rate in Cura?

I guess a few more explanations / screenshots or the saved project file would be of great help.

There are a dozen (or so) flow settings in Cura...

grafik.thumb.png.ec21de5f85932b0b37238840dadf346d.png

I Just change where it says “Flow 100” to 86 or whatever, then all the other flow rate settings change to the same except for the initial layer rate which stays at 100

The project is just a simple 25mm square single wall calibration cube that I always use on new filaments, and my nozzle is 0.4 and Cura is set at 0.4 nozzle.

Edited by Intelekt

1 hour ago, Intelekt said:

The project is just a simple 25mm square single wall calibration cube

Hopefully a closed (solid) cube and not with the thin walls actually modeled?

Cura will always generate two passes along the walls in case of the latter. This would not produce comparable results, you need extrusions with a single pass for this kind of calibration.

Yes I'm doing single walls with cura, same as S3D, i know people have differing views on which way to calibrate their printers for different filaments, but its also the same results when doing a double wall cube too, eg: when a double wall should come out at 0.8 its coming out at 0.9 and adjusting the flow in cura 4.6.1 doesn't do a thing!

Even though i have never had any trouble with cura 4.5 calibrating my filaments with this cube in the past.

This is the cube, calibrated at 100% flow rate.

Cura E3P Calibration Cube Single 0.4 Wall 0.4 Nozzle.gcode

Edited by Intelekt

Just a thought, but is it something to do with the "Flow rate compensation factor" in the "Experimental" section?

Dont know if this is a new item.

i have the same Problems on CURA 4.6.1. Must I go Back to 4,5?

Test_Profil_CUBE.zip

I’m still having this problem, I’ve just stuck to 100% for now, but it is annoying.

im running Cura 4.6.1 on a Mac, just wondering if it may only be the Mac version that’s faulty?

No, I am using win 7 64 bit 

Well I’m still having issues.

Now my extruder is clicking and slipping, my Esteps are calibrated right, but I can’t change the flow rate inside Cura.

ive tried 20mm solid cubes and they come out the same size regardless of what the flow rate is set at.

i May have to abandon Cura altogether and stick with another slicer, as I don’t get any acknowledgement that this is even an issue! 

Maybe it’s only with an Ender 3 pro, who knows.

Edited by Intelekt

Well, if i set the flow rate in Cura to 50% it uses exactly half of the material than at 100%. On 200% the amount of extruded material is doubled. I specifically used the "Creality Ender-3 Pro" definition - just to double-check.

Hmm - seems to be not a Cura issue 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Now my cura 4.6.1 works fine. I had have a mistake in my settings. Thanks ghostkeeper for great and fast support. 

Screenshot_20200530_150837_com.my.mail.jpg

On 5/27/2020 at 7:30 AM, Intelekt said:

Well I’m still having issues.

Now my extruder is clicking and slipping, my Esteps are calibrated right, but I can’t change the flow rate inside Cura.

ive tried 20mm solid cubes and they come out the same size regardless of what the flow rate is set at.

i May have to abandon Cura altogether and stick with another slicer, as I don’t get any acknowledgement that this is even an issue! 

Maybe it’s only with an Ender 3 pro, who knows.

I have also seen this problem I mean I doubt its the case but make sure volumetric is not on in cura, I believe the setting is called (RELETIVE EXTRUSION) also turn off all flow rate compensations, and overlap compensations. but most of all if you change the Flow percentage as a whole It must change in the UI for all extrusion paths you plan to lower it on possibly no one will confirm the problem because you must lower all flow settings, further more if you have over ridden you're extrusion with to 120% 0.45 instead of 0.4 changing the flow will only take you down to that with so a double wall will never be smaller than 0.9 even with the flow lowered. try running the same test with spirilise outer contour on then find you're line with with flowrate and set you're line with in cura before running a double wall test if 1 wall is .48 try changing that value instead of flow then you,re overall size should be much closer 

1 hour ago, tank423 said:

I doubt its the case but make sure volumetric is not on in cura, I believe the setting is called (RELETIVE EXTRUSION)

Relative extrusion has nothing to do with volumetric stuff. Equalize Filament Flow is closer in concept.

volumetric setting is not in the cura profile settings.  It's in the machine settings.  You have to do "manage printers".

so even if you have your g-code flavor set to marlin and not (marlin-volumetric) in machine settings you can still select relitive extrusion in the settings menu and its explination explains basically a volumetric extrusion setting i have enabled it and disabled it producing ugly prints when on id like some clarification on this setting if you know what it does gr5

relative extrusion and volumetric are totally different and unrelated.

If you look at the gcode you will see mostly commands like this:

G1 X123.4556 Y44.212 E233.4

These values are all in mm.  Normally the E value, in this case 233.4, is the total length of filament since the start of the print so at this point in the gcode you have printed 233.4mm of filament.  Your spool of filament would have 233mm less filament on it at this point in the print

In relative extrusion you will never see E values greater than around 2mm.  Each line of gcode has an E value for that particular line.  Short lines will have small E values and longer printed lines will have larger E values.

Does that make sense?

Volumetric means that instead of 233.4 meaning 233.4mm of filament has been printed (which is a different volume depending if you have 1.75mm filament or 2.85mm filament) the E value is the volume of filament in cubic mm.  In volumetric if E value increases by 1 then it's 1 cubic mm not one linear mm.  The actual amount the extruder moves is different based on the filament diameter.

It could be that the Ultimaker 2 is the only printer in the world that does volumetric printing.  I'm not sure.  I've never heard of another printer doing such a thing.  I think this idea/concept might be Ultimaker only.  I could be wrong.

Relative printing is also rare out there although most printer support it I believe.  There is a gcode to warn the printer that you will be doing relative printing instead of absolute.

New to Cura 4.6.1.

How do I even find the menu shown by Tinkergnome above?

I have done a "check all" in the configure settings tab it checks everything as expected,  but still nothing extra appears under the "Settings" tab. 

Must be newbyness I guess. But please assist. Cannot afford to loose any more hair!

The UI has a weirdness in that settings are often hidden until you close the group (in this case Material) by using the arrow button in the group header and then re-opening it again. This often coaxes shy settings out of their hiding places.

Hi, i appear to have the same flow rate issue.

Using cura for first time on raise 3dN2 Plus, upgraded with bondtech extruders

All settings are are at default using correct printer profile and pla+

The layer is thin and misfiring, ie printing in morse code, all dots and dashes. However if i overide the flow rate on the raise touch screen to 150% thing look a hell of a lot better making me think ive found the problem area and descovered this thread? 

Yes unfortunately have not arrived at a solution. But for better or worse I found a workaround in a new quality hardened steel nozzle which has an accurate 0```````````````````````````````````````````````.4 dia. All my standard programmes now seem to work beautifully.

Sadly have no current necessity to solve the original query, as I desperately need to melt plastic. Will have to wait in the big queue of learning. 

It was a surprising fix. The action and reaction conundrums in 3d printing are slowly dawning . The logic is clear when something works. but stubbornly obscure when it does not.  God bless the forums.

I am having this issue as well. I am using an Ender 3 with the latest version of marlin.  I adjusted the flow rate on cura but it doesn't do anything.  Even tried adjusting to 60 percent. No change. 

I found this thread and another pointed out an override issue on per model settings that overrides it. I checked mine and nothing is selected. So this didn't fix the issue.

I did however find a knob on the lcd with the latest marlin where you could adjust the flow manually and this is working beautifully. 

Would like to have cura be able to work as well though. 

Edited by Warriorclub

I need to edit this. The reason I'm sure at least mine was not adjusting the flow rate through cura was because my printer actually came with an option to tune in the flow directly from the printer. This is on the latest marlin firmware. It was set at 100 percent. So even if i adjusted flow through cura the printer overrided it and set it back to 100 percent. 

Im just going to adjust this through the printer for now because its printing beautifully now. 

But if anyone wants to use cura to adjust the flow you'd have to disable that option on the printer first through vs code or whatever program you use then reflash it. 

If you have the latest version of marlin I'd suggest you check your printer to see if you have the flow adjustment option on your printer. If you do then the value set on your printer is overriding the cura. 

Hope this helps.

I was having the same problem after updating to 4.6.1.

Tried all different settings to solve and finally I remembered what I had to do for older versions to even get them to work.

I ran compatibility mode and it picked win 8 compatibility and so far that seemed to solve my problem.  Now I can adjust flow.