What is causing cura to print parts the wrong size?

nawakilla

Posted · What is causing cura to print parts the wrong size?

I'll try to keep this as short as possible while still trying to provide enough details.

Using a makerbot replicator 2 running sailfish and printing with pla

(I know this is mostly an ultimaker forum but I could really use the help)

For some reason when using cura, My models come out a different size than what they should be. I've noticed this the most when trying to print the xyz calibration cube. Rather than it coming out 20mm all the way around, the cube is measuring 21x21x20. However when using mattercontrol slicer the cube comes out to 20mm on the x and y axis as it should. To save some time I thought it would be a good idea to share some of the things I've tried and ruled out.

I was getting the same problem before and after flashing the machines firmware to sailfish

when importing the model I made sure the programs weren't scaling the cube on it's own. ( if it did the z height would have been off as well)

belts are tight (however, the problem continued both before and after adding a bit of extra tension.)

Everything seems to be tight and as it should be. ( really don't think this is the issue otherwise the problem would have occurred regardless of slicer)

both programs had identical settings when setting up, nozzle size, speed, temp, filament type and diameter as well as extrusion multiplier

My guess is there is something in the code that is causing the nozzle to move further than it should but only in the x and y axis since the z dimension is coming out right on. However despite googling all the codes I couldn't find the issue. I did notice that the the G and E values are pretty different but I'd have no idea how to adjust the post on some thing like that. I've attached a screen shot of the 2 files both the mattercontrol and the cura programs. Hopefully someone out there can help identify the issue or at least point me in the right direction since I'm getting pretty desperate over here.

(a few small notes. the files only have the first parts of the code, not the entire thing since it would have been too big. Also when uploading the files I did export them to gcode to make it legible since makerbot uses x3g. I don't think this would have an effect on the format since it has already gone threw the post processor. I would have just posted the 2 files however there this forum wouldn't accept the type of attachment)

https://imgur.com/DhGXZWA

• 4 months later...

im going to guess youve had no sollutions given , im trying to use cura on a ender 3 with an skr mini and prints that are 64mm x 64mm in the slicer are coming out 80x80mm and theres no way from what ive found so far to fix it and it seems no one who makes videos on cura covers any problems maybe since a moderator will check my post here we could get some help 

ive only printed out first layers so far as i dont have filament to waste at the moment but i can already tell the retractions are managed alot better than i could get on simplify3d im just woundering how well cura will handle 200mms when i finnaly get the scaling issues fixed 

I have this same issue. On a CR10S with PLA parts are coming out too thin. If I set the thickness to 6.35mm ( 0.250) it prints at less than 3.5mm and I haven't worried about the X or Y dimension...yet!

Thanks,

schemer

If it's off by exactly 2X - is it seeming to overextrude a lot?  It could be that your printer has a hardware problem where it is moving the Z axis half as much as it is supposed to.  There is a jumper on many 3d printers to set the Z axis steps/mm.  I think it's in the wrong position or maybe missing.  This is one possibility.

20 hours ago, gr5 said:

If it's off by exactly 2X - is it seeming to overextrude a lot?  It could be that your printer has a hardware problem where it is moving the Z axis half as much as it is supposed to.  There is a jumper on many 3d printers to set the Z axis steps/mm.  I think it's in the wrong position or maybe missing.  This is one possibility.

I fixed it. The connector for the right z axis was unplugged. Don't know how or why. All good now. Thanks.

• Like 1

Blaming the software but having hardware problems... check the hardware regular, belt tension, connectors etc.

Those kind of problems happens to all at some time. He found and solve it. And he report his findings ...

• Like 1