posiblility to print only first 1-4 Layers faster?

Posted · posiblility to print only first 1-4 Layers faster?

Hello together,

I know that most of you recomment to print the first layer/s slower

so that the print bed adhesion is better. I understand this but still

would like to speed up the first layers in comparison to the rest.

E.g. print speed layer 1-4  200mm/sec, layer 5 till end  60mm/sec.

My first layers are mostly rectangles 20x20cm and fully cover the buildplate.

Therefore print adhesion is no issue. Because of the size the first layers always need a 

long time to print. The details come from layer 4 onwards and there I would like to

go to "normal", lower speed.

Is there any posiblility to do so? I only found speed adjustments for all bottom and top

layers. But top layers should print at "normal" speed (e.g. 60mm/sec).

Thanks a lot for help in advance,

Leporello

Posted (edited) · posiblility to print only first 1-4 Layers faster?

I think you will have to do some hand coding.  Create the gcode file with the print speed at 60.

Open the file in your text editor.  Layer numbering in Cura starts with 1 but in Gcode it starts at 0.

Scroll down to Layer:0 and right under that line add M220 S333

Use the search function to find Layer:4 and right under that line add M220 S100.

The first M220 will change the feed rate to 333% of 60 (199.8mm/s) for layers 0, 1, 2, 3.  The second M220 will change it back to 100% for layer 4 (Cura layer 5) to the end of the file.  If your max feed settings in config.h are lower they will over-ride and limit the speed.

Edited by GregValiant

Hi there,

Can't you just adjust the initial speed,

as this is for the first number of layers set by initial height

("initial layer height" divided by "layer height" give the number of layers at this speed)?

Corrected

Initial layer is ONLY the first layer printed.

Just a thought, that's was wrong..

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Correcting an error!

Posted · posiblility to print only first 1-4 Layers faster?

Or you could use the plugin Search and Replace.  Replace ";Layer:0" with M220 S333 and have a second Search and Replace to replace ";Layer:4" with M220 S100.  That way you wouldn't have to go into the Gcode file.

Hi Leporello,

I'm sure my explanation is wrong, the initial layer is just one layer. I've missed this one as when they say initial layers, they mean all kind of first layers as brim, skirt, support and printed object..

Sorry by this was my bummer..

I've tried this, with increased value and then my squeezed first layer just would not stick! 😞

So this speed is for first layer only.

So using the plugin, as Greg suggested is the key here, -or the hard way of hand "assemble" a gcode addition he also suggested, will work I'm sure.

Thanks

Good Luck

Torgeir.

Edited by Torgeir