Can anyone help, printing with PLA!!

Twood

Posted · Can anyone help, printing with PLA!!

Hello, I've been printing for a few months now mainly with PET but decided to use 1.75mm pla filament for this project.  I'm struggling to get a nice looking print from my ultimaker 2, tried many different variations of bed temps and nossle temps cleaning the extruder and adjusting the feeder but still no luck, I've attached a picture of how the print is coming out it's currently set at 230degC nossle and 80 degC bed.. any help will be appreciated! Thanks 

IMG_20200708_163629.jpg

With PLA you want to start off at 195c nozzle and a bed temp of 50-60c. If its PLA+ you want to start nozzle temp at 210c. Work way up 5c at a time to see how each temp prints. Also make sure you cleaned your nozzle after using PETG so nones left in side.

Ultimaker2 + 1.75 filament ? 
    Please describe if you have changed something, feeder, hotend, Bowden that we have a picture of your printer.

Your picture shows really heavy underextrusion.

Have you set the correct filament diameter in Cura?

31 minutes ago, Smithy said:
    32 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Ultimaker2 + 1.75 filament ? 
    Please describe if you have changed something, feeder, hotend, Bowden that we have a picture of your printer.

Your picture shows really heavy underextrusion.

Have you set the correct filament diameter in Cura?

Hi thanks for getting back! I've just got the standard ultimaker 2, everything on the printer is stock - no upgrades! I'll need to go into cuta and find out about the correct filament diameter, I never knew there was a option to change it, could be the answer to a few problems I've had haha! 

Using 1.75mm on a stock Ultimaker is not a good idea because it's design for 2.85mm so the likes of the feeder is designed for a bigger filament so i'm not sure how well it will grip 1.75mm. Then like smithy points out its the hotend and bowden that all designed to use 2.85mm.

But to edit the filament size in Cura, you go to cura - preferences - materials and you need to edit the diameter of the material (note you can not edit default ones so you need to create one.

Another setting you might have to edit is the printer settings for the extruder to say its 1.75mm, i have never tired it and i'm not sure how good a idea it is to use 1.75mm on a stock 2.85mm machine.

Some people have tried it with success, but I would highly recommend to print with 2.85mm filament.

As Carla said, the printer is build for 2.85 filament and when you use it with 1.75 you will get a lot of sideeffects and problems.

Yeah, I would use the correct diameter for your printer, the feeder filament gear will probably have a tricky time grabbing the filament and feeding it properly.

Thanks help guys I managed to get the printer working perfectly with the 1.75mm filament, I just had to make a new material setting on the printer and change the filament size through that! 

Feel free not to use the advise people give you, but be prepared for a clogged hotend or other failures.

1.75 mm filament in an Ultimaker 2 might work for a handful of prints, but will fail you when you least need it.