Ultimaker 2, for sale in US

jdaiglejr

Posted · Ultimaker 2, for sale in US

Ultimaker 2 now listed for sale in the US (along with UM1), through Makershed. However, product "availability" is indicated "currently unavailable". I ordered the UM1 from them. Avoids all the extra fees, and shipping is from California.

I just checked Makershed's site, and it says, "Availability: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Days."

I've been anxiously awaiting response to numerous inquiries for a shipment update for my order placed on 29-Oct. I live in Pennsylvania, and will be a little disappointed, to say the least, if a domestic retailer is able to ship yet this week with an overnight delivery option for about the cost of my "foreign transaction fee" (100USD vs. 80USD) while I'm still left to wonder where my order even stands.

If I was able to get a refund - in full, and place an order at Makershed, then I'd be all for that. My concern is that the request wouldn't go through expeditiously, and by the time it did, Makershed's inventory would be depleted, and I'd be back at square one. A simple response from customer service would go a long way in helping to alleviate concern over the unknown on behalf of the consumer. I have a customer anxiously awaiting updates from me, and I repeatedly have nothing to provide to him.

I recommend you first call makershed to verify the availability. If it's true don't tell anyone until your order is placed :) I'm skeptical but it *is* possible. I'm confident you can cancel your order through UM but I can't promise anything - I don't work for UM. If maker shed has them available (which I kind of doubt) then I would PM Sander directly here to inquire about cancelling your order:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/user/423-sandervg/

My understanding is that Sander is not involved in manufacturing or shipping schedules but that he is the head of sales and support. He's a very nice person and treats customers very well.

Thank you gr5. Your post was very helpful. I did indeed PM Sander directly, and I hope to hear back tomorrow, as my emails via my long-standing ticket are not receiving a response.

Also, I called Makershed and spoke to them directly around 12:30PM EST. They confirmed they have 30 units in stock at their location and they are ready to ship (inventory is domestic to USA; they are not shipping from overseas). They said UM2 will ship within 1 to 2 days from placement of order, and, of course, they are not sure how quickly the 30 units will last. This must be a very new development, as the person I spoke with had to put me on hold to confirm everything. He was unaware up until my call that UM2 was even in inventory.

I've been waiting for a U.S. source for Ultimaker for what seems like forever. I just ordered an Ultimaker 2 from Maker Shed. I'll keep you posted on how long it takes to get it. The Ultimaker 2 fared pretty well in the 2014 Make 3-D Printer Guide. I hope it lives up to its on-paper potential. From what I've seen, it looks like every problem area in the old design was addressed quite well in this new design. Kudos to Ultimaker for listening to customers.

Once the UM2 machine gets a second extruder/nozzle, it should be perfect for about 80% of what I print. Large items will still have to be done on my hacked CubeX Trio. Maybe UM can create a UM2XL with a 300mm cubed build area next. Then I can dump my CubeX entirely. :)

Ordered UM2 from Maker Shed on Dec 7th. Shipped Dec 10th (today). Got the email with tracking number a few minutes ago. It will probably arrive by Friday. They really did have them in stock.

MakerSHED is for real! I ordered one late last week w/ overnight shipping, it arrived yesterday morning. It's not an old unit either; it was running the 13.11.2 firmware out of the box, and even came with the spare filament guide that fits on the rear opposite the extrusion stepper.

I would highly recommend even with these units doing a partial disassembly and reassembly before starting it up. I had a few loose connections on the PCB, the left motor guard sheetmetal was warped, and the wiring for the LED light strips was rubbing on one of the axes. Nothing major, but a thorough check will save you time in the long run. I would also clean and re-oil all of the axes; I was noticing a fair bit of buildup on the carriages after just a few passes; likely from dust and cardboard debris during shipping.

MakerSHED is for real! I ordered one late last week w/ overnight shipping, it arrived yesterday morning. It's not an old unit either; it was running the 13.11.2 firmware out of the box, and even came with the spare filament guide that fits on the rear opposite the extrusion stepper.

I would highly recommend even with these units doing a partial disassembly and reassembly before starting it up. I had a few loose connections on the PCB, the left motor guard sheetmetal was warped, and the wiring for the LED light strips was rubbing on one of the axes. Nothing major, but a thorough check will save you time in the long run. I would also clean and re-oil all of the axes; I was noticing a fair bit of buildup on the carriages after just a few passes; likely from dust and cardboard debris during shipping.

Thanks for the tips. I'm surprised these don't ship in a large polybag to keep them free from the corrugated debris.

You're correct about Makershed. I ordered after lunch (EST) on Friday with ground shipping to NW Pennsylvania. My UM2 is scheduled to deliver to my work any minute now. I'm looking forward to it! I had called Makershed in the morning and they had 30 units in stock. Mine was the 5th unit to sell that day by the early afternoon EST.

I can't recall, but did I read somewhere that people use some sort of sewing oil on the shafts for lubrication? These do not ship with oil, is that correct? Thanks again.

Sewing machine oil, yes. And no, they do not ship with any.

I can't recall, but did I read somewhere that people use some sort of sewing oil on the shafts for lubrication? These do not ship with oil, is that correct? Thanks again.

I picked up some Singer sewing oil from Jo-ann's Fabrics a while ago for use on my printers, and it works a charm. I usually clean the rods first, then re-oil just to get rid of any dust buildup. While the printer doesn't come with this oil for the sliding shafts, it does come with a small packet of grease for the threaded table rod.

The sliderblocks use self-lubricating bushings, which slide quite nice on the axis on their own. But extra oil never hurts. (Do not use grease on the axis, this attracts dirt like crazy and cause lots of problems in the long run)

Any light oil should work fine but preferably without a lot of additives (WD40 has additives).

I received my Ulitmaker 2 from Makershed overnight ( I had a October order in with UM but was able to get it faster Makershed's first order ). It has the latest firmware and printed a great robot out of the box with only a very little sag on the overhang. Playing with retraction settings and temperatures today.

20043_6fb76cfacf88186f025c8e5530b737b0_m.jpg