Rolling vs Linear Menu

visser7346

Posted · Rolling vs Linear Menu

I find it confusing that the menu's are rolling over while scrolling. Very often the requiered menu item is skipped.

IMO it would be more user-friendly when there is a return> on de top of the menu and at the bottom and the menu sticks there.

So a linear menu instead of a rolling menu

For the UM3 you mean?

It does take double the roll amount to roll over to the start vs to roll to the next item.

we did considered this, decided against it because of some fairly long menus and if I remember correctly it should be easy to change but we haven't planned to do any more UM3 software updates at the moment.

I suggest printing a custom knob for the printer control, that makes it a lot more controllable IMHO.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=ultimaker+knob&type=things&sort=relevant I used the 2nd one in the search result myself, did have to scale it down a tiny bit, or maybe print with the new engineering profiles?

Posted (edited) · Rolling vs Linear Menu
    On 7/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, robinmdh said:

or maybe print with the new engineering profiles?

This would be a good suggestion, if the engineering profiles were available for the UM3.

On 7/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, robinmdh said:

but we haven't planned to do any more UM3 software updates at the moment

That's very sad to hear, despite the principle "never change a running system".

Regards

Edited by Enigma_M4
    syntax

59 minutes ago, Enigma_M4 said:

This would be a good suggestion, if the engineering profiles were available for the UM3.

They are not included in Cura for the non S-line printers, but you can easily create your own with a few settings. The magic behind are mostly the unified speeds besides a few other things, Search for "dimensional accuracy" and you will find the parameters.

• Thanks 1

Robin, I wil definitly try another knob, thanks for the suggestion.

I hope that will increase the user experience ...

... But I do not buy the 'less clicks' argument.

That may be a good design reason when you have separate up-down keys, but with a rotary encoder and a non-sorted menu list is not a big issue.

... also I want to come back  on my 'request' for a dual "return>" item, it is more clear for the user that the one-and-only "return>" is always at the bottom of the list (or at the top just like the .. (directory up) in unix directories), so you can very simple turn in the same direction to the 'menu up' item.

Regards, Johan

Unfortunately I don't have any UM3's at home to test with (COVID) but if you feel adventurous you can try this package, just enable developer mode (then you can ssh into the machine with the user: root and password: ultimaker), scp (or winscp) the file to the /root/ directory and install with

dpkg -i jedi-display*

Robin,

That's "a bridge too far" for me. What is in this package?

I've printed and installed the knob you recommended, works fine for now..

Regards, Johan Visser