Cura not opening any files?

squidinktea

Posted · Cura not opening any files?

I have Ultimaker Cura 4.6 newly installed on my desktop that runs windows 10, and everytime I try to bring in a model to slice it just gets stuck loading. The longest I've waited for it was about 3 hours before shutting down for the day. I have only attempted with .stl and .obj files, and multiples different ones of each. They work in the lulzbot version of cura, so i know it's not the files. I have uninstalled, cleared all files, and reinstalled multiple times, tried it in a previous version of windows, no dice. Has anyone else experienced this? I have no idea what to do. 

Yes, thanks!

You start Cura from D:\Install Files\ ? Is this your place where you usually run your applications and not Program Files ?

If yes, do you have also write permissions there?

Is drive D a normal disk?

Have you tried to download a fresh copy from the Ultimaker website?

Otherwise let's wait for one of the Cura experts here if they can find something in your log.

yep, done a few fresh copies. 

On 7/24/2020 at 6:41 AM, squidinktea said:

everytime I try to bring in a model to slice it just gets stuck loading.

Could you clarify what *exactly* is happening? From the logs, it looks like the model loads just fine.

2020-07-23 20:22:45,224 - INFO - [Thread-3] STLReader.STLReader.load_file [52]: Using NumPy-STL to load STL data.
    2020-07-23 20:22:45,233 - DEBUG - [Thread-3] UM.Mesh.MeshData.calculateNormalsFromVertices [548]: Calculating normals took 0.0010001659393310547 seconds
    2020-07-23 20:22:45,234 - DEBUG - [Thread-3] STLReader.STLReader._read [104]: Loaded a mesh with 8520 vertices
    2020-07-23 20:22:59,706 - INFO - [Thread-1] STLReader.STLReader.load_file [52]: Using NumPy-STL to load STL data.
    2020-07-23 20:22:59,722 - DEBUG - [Thread-1] UM.Mesh.MeshData.calculateNormalsFromVertices [548]: Calculating normals took 0.0010020732879638672 seconds
    2020-07-23 20:22:59,724 - DEBUG - [Thread-1] STLReader.STLReader._read [104]: Loaded a mesh with 4908 vertices
    2020-07-23 20:22:59,737 - DEBUG - [Thread-1] UM.Mesh.MeshData.approximateConvexHull [503]: approximateConvexHull(target_count=1024) Calculating 3D convex hull took 0.008001089096069336 seconds. 220 input vertices. 220 output vertices.
    2020-07-23 21:30:37,743 - INFO - [Thread-2] STLReader.STLReader.load_file [52]: Using NumPy-STL to load STL data.
    2020-07-23 21:30:37,764 - DEBUG - [Thread-2] UM.Mesh.MeshData.calculateNormalsFromVertices [548]: Calculating normals took 0.0010001659393310547 seconds
    2020-07-23 21:30:37,765 - DEBUG - [Thread-2] STLReader.STLReader._read [104]: Loaded a mesh with 5946 vertices
    2020-07-23 21:30:37,775 - DEBUG - [Thread-2] UM.Mesh.MeshData.approximateConvexHull [503]: approximateConvexHull(target_count=1024) Calculating 3D convex hull took 0.006000041961669922 seconds. 207 input vertices. 207 output vertices.

etc

How do you open the files? By drag and drop? What happens when you do? Do any messages show up along the bottom of the display? Does the model show up at all in Cura?

I usually  use the 'Open File' button in the top left hand corner. I will select the file I want to open, hit 'open' in the dialogue box, a box will open at the bottom of the window that says 'Loading' with the file name underneath and a blue bar that bounces back and forth. And then that loading bar will stay there bounding back and forth, and the model will never appear until I end up closing the program. It just looks like file attached forever. 

Annotation 2020-07-26 121429.png

Is it okay to bump? I am still having this issue even withthe new version update and it's confusing the ever loving heck out of me. 

I'm stumped. I think the best thing to do is to open an issue at https://github.com/ultimaker/cura/issues, filling in the full template with at least the details you gave here. This will hopefully get you the attention of more developers.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, squidinktea said:

Is it okay to bump? I am still having this issue even withthe new version update and it's confusing the ever loving heck out of me. 

I woke up today, went to print a new model I made in Blender(done this for every one of my prints) and no model will load. Nothing new or changed in Cura or my PC.

Did you export your model from blender as an STL file?  Did you try loading an old model that you know worked in the past?  What version of Cura are you using?  Please post the log file from cura.