Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mys1211

printing wooden spare parts?

Hello folks,

Just got my ultimaker and I'm new to the forum. I broke my wooden part (pulley belt clip right C)while assembling my ultimaker. I was able to glue the pieces back, but not sure how long it will last. Is it possible to download a blueprint and print a spare? Thanks!

As the hardware of the Ultimaker is open source you find step models and drawings here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UltimakerOriginal

However, the drawings are kind of alibi as only one or two dimensions are labelled on them. Nevertheless, the step files could be used for printing parts. For 'your' part you have to consider the plastic shrink while cooling down, i.e. the hole has to be made a few tenths wider...

You won't have a problem with temperature issues for that part as that doesn't get hot. I would just take some of the extra plywood and cut a piece to the right shape and drill a hole in it. Actually I would drill the hole first.

Also you can print up entire blocks. Go to thingiverse.com and search for "ultimaker banana block" to see two nice designs.

Dim3nsioneer, nice, why didn't I check there first? :oops:

If you don't want to go the manual way gr5 suggests I guess the one you'll want to print would be "1119_Sliding_Block_Part_C" unless I'm seeing things completely wrong. And yes, you might need to file the hole a little bit to get it to fit, shouldn't be too hard though.

Thanks guys,

I think I will go for the easiest option. I have no experience in 3D modeling whatsoever, and have no complete carpentry tools at hands.

If I were to print the whole block, should I replace all four blocks to create more symmetrical friction on the axes? (since plastic is more slippery than wood.) Or the friction difference is negligible and will not affect performance. I guess not many people have the same issue, so even just an insight is appreciated.

The plastic (or wood) doesn't touch the axis; the bearing does that. So it doesn't matter what the material is. But I wouldn't start replacing your sliding blocks before you've even got the printer working. Just print a replacement for the broken piece for now, or as George said, just cut one out of plywood. That's by far the 'easiest' option, especially before you've gotten some experience using and tuning the printer.