Filament source in the UK

Posted · Filament source in the UK

Hello ultimkaer world!

someone here who is so new, my ultimaker still hasn't arrived!

just looking if there is a supplier in the UK that sells ultimaker filament. i have seen that Ebay does really cheap filament, and well, i just dont trust that. is it better to buy it direct from the source so i can guarantee quality?

(PS are there any rules about selling ultimaker filament on ebay, i foolisly oredered a single roll of PLA and a single roll of ABS, not realising how much of a chore it is to purge the system for the new material!)

many thanks, and expect many more Newby questions from me

faberdasherry is highly recommended.

If you want to buy from ebay don't go for the cheapest reels.

You need quality 'input' (filament) if you want quality output. (prints)

As for guidelines, it should be 3mm (in practice this usually comes down to 2.85mm)

If it is 2.8 or 2.9 that is all ok, as long as it has a consistent diameter.

wow. all i can say is so far ultimaker support has been lightning fast.

i also knew it would be "yes, that really cheap filamnet from ebay will be awful" i can imagine it being very inconsistent diameter, and lots of air bubbles.

i belive faberdasherry was actually the site i was also interested in, and very good prices!

• 1 month later...

Faberdashery has very good filament. That's where I buy all of my PLA from. The only problem with it is that it does not come on a spool which can make it prone to tangling... I am always fighting with tangled filament and it's not the easiest thing to put onto a spool yourself...

But the quality of the filament itself is perfect. For non-pla filament choices I like 3dfilaprint.com.

Cheers,

Troy.

Good Evening

I have just ordered 100 quids worth of filament from Faberdashery ( I know I am boring, just black & silver )... do you have any recommendations to printing settings or just experiment similar to how I print at the moment with standard ultimaker PLA ?

Some of thier colours look great, glow in the dark green !

Edit. Ps, I dont really know what i`m doing yet with any PLA lol

Hi Skint

I usually print at about 215 temp with .1 layer at speeds of 50 -70 faberdashery flows really nice, at faster speeds i up the temp to about 220....

Thanks Cor, looking forward to getting some black, a bit fed up of the standard blue lol

I get most of my filament from colorfabb - I know - they are NL based, but the stuff prints like a dream :)

UM1 - pla/pha combination and I use lots of their XT for strength.

James

Used Faberdashery black for the first time last week and got good results at .2 layer 40 m/s 210c. Not tried other speeds/thicknesses yet. Colourfabbb are good too.

NB above was not on a Multimaker 2

Received my box of Fab filament today, 4 in total to try out :)