Short extruder movements which could destroy bearings quickly

Linderberg

Posted · Short extruder movements which could destroy bearings quickly

Dear Madam, Sir,

I would like to print a sphere (an enclosure for a loudspeaker) with relatively thin walls. The problem is I am forced to print with a high speed (due to its huge dimensions). When filling walls an extruder follows very short paths and, as a sequence, it literally bumps into the shells with a very high speed (looks like a resonance) (a part of this infill is demonstrated by the red ellipse in the screenshot attached). I do believe this type of movement will destroy bearings quite soon. Unfortunately, Simplify3D does not feature a circular infill which would be very handy in such a case (e.g. Cura features this). However, I do prefer to use Simplify3D. My quesion is whether I am right or wrong regarding that these short movements will destroy bearings of my Ultimaker 2+ quite soon.

I apologize if my question is inappropriate.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,

Dmitrii

Fig_1.PNG

21 minutes ago, Mari said:

What if you change Wall Thickness?

For now I don't really know how to do this properly in Simplify3D but I will try.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Posted (edited) · Short extruder movements which could destroy bearings quickly

Maybe I didn't understand the reply properly. I can't change the thickness for the 3D model itself because it takes a lot of time to print in that case.

Edited by Linderberg
    a typographical error

I think what he meant was to change the number of "Outline/Perimeter Shells" to get rid of that infill in the middle. Adding one more shell might make it so that you get just solid wall lines.

That said, I wouldn't worry about the printer failing because of this. But for speed and noise reduction it's nice to get rid of these kinds of movements.

• Like 1

@IRobertI, thank you very much. Now I get a proper slicing. I have tried this previously but I have made a mistake in calculation with extrusion width. Now everything is fine. Also I would like to thank you for commenting about a possible failure.