Print Stops, but Incomplete

hooligan-labs

Posted · Print Stops, but Incomplete

I just got my Ultimaker Original working today. After printing the standard mascot, I went to print some coffee stirrers. I had downloaded them from Thingiverse. There were two groups of four. I put the groups as two objects in Cura and started printing.

About an hour and a half later, around when it said it would be finished, the print stopped and the printer went into rest position. However, one set of coffee stirrers was about 80% done and the other 20% done! What happened?

Here is what the log says:

http://pastebin.com/tQ4X2aRy

What did the gcode look like? Can you try repeating the same procedure in cura and then looking in layer view to see what cura produced? Alternatively, and probably preferably, try downloading Repetier Host http://www.repetier.com/download/ and take a look at the original Gcode. If you don't feel comfortable doing that you can upload the gcode somewhere and link to it so that one of us can take a look.

This is just to rule out that something is wrong with the produced gcode.

Also, I hope you're not planning on actually using those stirrers. For one, if you're using PLA, they will melt. And the plastic we're using isn't food safe.

This happens a lot on both UM1 and UM2 when printing through USB. Did you get the ulticontroller I hope? If not the solutions are to vary the USB in some way. For example try a different computer (laptops seem to be more stable for some people plus they have built in battery if you lose power) or buy a $10 USB hub which amplifies the signal or route the USB cable differently or try a better USB cable.

But if you can print through the ulticontroller, this kind of thing doesn't happen.

I have successfully continued "failed" prints but it's a bit of work - you basically remove the gcode up to the spot where it left off. Plus leave in the homing code and you have to do a trick to get the extruder not to suddenly extrude a meter of filament because it thinks it's one meter into the gcode. But it's not too hard to do. The trickier part is figuring out exactly where it ended up (stopped).

How I understood it is that the printer completed one set to 80%, then moved on to the next set and did 20% of that before ending the print normally. Is that really something that has happened due to USB issues? From what I've heard the issue with USB printing is that it just stops randomly with no homing or anything. That's why I was curious to know what the Gcode actually looked like.

I met the same problem, i upload a file from Solid Works. It is a stool frame with diameter of 3 mm and 50mm high, it goes well with Cura and generated a G code file. But when printing, it stopped at the middle(about 10mm in heigh) yet the LCD display shown the SD file is still going. That is: it still count the percentage of finishing but the nozzle just don't move at all. When LCD shown finished the nozzle don't come back to home. It just stay there and not moving.

1) After slicing did you look at the stool in layer view?

2) What? does it just sit there? Is the printer quiet? No steppers moving? Are fans still running? It sounds like you lost power to everything but the arduino maybe? Does this "pause" take one or two seconds? Or does it last for many minutes?