Prints Nearly Turning Into Blobs After E3D V6 Upgrade

joshbot007

Posted · Prints Nearly Turning Into Blobs After E3D V6 Upgrade

Ok so I was doing a bunch of work to my printer last weekend including an E3D V6 hot end upgrade. The printer is an ender 3 pro that has an SKR mini v2 board, octoprint, enclosure, and more printing with makerbot ABS. After every change I would always test print a standing tower as pictured below. Once I installed the e3d v6 hot end my prints started looking extremely over-extruded and or too high temperature. I am using the exact same gcode as the previous towers (except for the short once pictured where I tried changing setting to fix the issue). The towers on the left of the picture are before and the ones on the right are after the upgrade. I am a little confused as why it would appear over-extruded as the extruder is calibrated and moving the same as before and it wasn’t slipping before with the old hotend. I have tried turning the temperature way down and that doesn’t seem to help either. It is noteworthy that while it looks  like the tower are skinnier in some places and twisted that is because the nozzle is pulling the outer wall inwards on the next pass. The printer seems to be making the correct movements in the x-y direction so it is not a loose belt. Also the prints are the correct hight so it is not something with the z axis.

i have read another thread about someone having the similar issues but there was no clear answer and he just turned down his extrusion rate by 20% to compensate.  

Thanks for the help!

EC0F1FBF-A1AC-4720-83C1-01E28BF20518.jpeg

0801E05F-52F5-4720-B96C-015B6082117E.jpeg

87EF6E97-3C1E-4316-9BFD-D67F94C3ED2E.jpeg

AEF72248-0155-46DF-A5D4-920A5E0D7E5A.jpeg

5 hours ago, joshbot007 said:

Once I installed the e3d v6 hot end my prints started looking extremely over-extruded and or too high temperature.

It may be very well a temperature problem.

Did you changed the temperature sensor as well or is the exact same model as before?

Can you measure the actual temperature with an external thermometer?

The temp sensor is different and changed accordingly in configuration.h for the marlin code. I was able to measure the temperature and it is accurate.

i was able to get some successful larger prints but small towers still seem to be a problem. On the towers I noticed that the top 10 or so layers below the nozzel will move with the nozzel indicating that they are still super hot. This confuses me, only thing I can think of that would cause this is that maybe the bottom of the e3d v6 has much higher convection heat transfer or that the fan from the hold side is causing airflow to cross the heatsink at the bottom and blow directly on the part (opposite of a cooling fan). The nozzle on the e3d v6 is definitely much shorter in height than the old ender 3 extruder nozzles so the heatsink is closer to the print. However, This problem seemed to continuously exist until I kept on stepping the temperature down so low until it would no longer properly extrude. Speed changes seem to neither help or hurt.

pictures are of successful prints but still some overheating type artifacts 

4605482F-E963-44D4-A0D1-DD9356C7B67F.jpeg

16592FF6-1C43-48D8-AFEA-59CBFDD2A65A.jpeg

83A5993E-9DB8-4004-8BC2-A876B13BE262.jpeg

6 hours ago, joshbot007 said:

maybe the bottom of the e3d v6 has much higher convection heat transfer

Do you have pictures of the hotend installation?

Dunno, but if you haven't done it yet - try the "socks", those are quite cheap.

https://e3d-online.com/products/v6-silicone-socks-pack-of-3

Posted (edited) · Prints Nearly Turning Into Blobs After E3D V6 Upgrade

Great suggestion but I have the E3D V6 silicon sock. I am including a pic of my hotend just for S&G. Ignore the cooling fan up in the air, I am waiting on a nee fan as that one is broken (not the cause of the issue as I had the cooling fan turned off before and after the installation, in fact my cooling fan is always off ) 

686C6D75-01D8-4FD4-B528-93299DDAFCC9.jpeg

Edited by joshbot007
    • Like 1

So it appears that there is a TON of heat radiating from the heater block. I just installed the fan with shroud (printed out of ABS) and it melted it. This is crazy to me. The temperature seems to be reading accurately, has anyone else had these problems? Is there a better, more efficient, sock I can buy for the V6?

CDF369D6-D1B1-45F7-8600-2B1E95BFAD27.jpeg

0C7721F1-8EE6-4ADD-981B-CC8E7A61C4E0.jpeg

D5CACA34-2092-4579-900F-788771936C06.jpeg