Layer Splitting PET-G

igniparra

Posted · Layer Splitting PET-G

Hi Guys!

I had this kind of layer separation. It coincides to the side that isn't facing the wall. I think this is due to the material cooling and contracting, am I right?

Do I need an enclosure?

Thanks!

a4120e3a-24e5-44e6-b638-48673c67db4d.jpg

13 minutes ago, igniparra said:

Do I need an enclosure?

Not necessarily, but it helps of course.

Don't use the part cooling fan for those big objects and try a different filament first.

If this is "silver", use a different color - i don't know why, but these glittering additives make it much more worse.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Framar said:

I've noticed that when I printed at slower speed I got better layer adhesion.

Thanks! I will try that, also to prevent blobs and boogers...

On 8/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, tinkergnome said:

Not necessarily, but it helps of course.

Don't use the part cooling fan for those big objects and try a different filament first.

If this is "silver", use a different color - i don't know why, but these glittering additives make it much more worse.

The other one I bought was Cobalt... A lot worse than the silver one...
    Yes, we don't get quality filament in Argentina, but I wanna get the best results with what I get, and I think I can do better by tuning the settings.

Thanks!

With PETG you want to run the printer with as little part cooling as you can, for parts with no details you can run with 0% cooling fans to get strong layers, if a part as more fine details run cooling fans at 50%.

If its printing in a area open to cold drafts, its best to try and limit the draft (for any 3d printing really) to stop it cooling to fast. Also you might need to up the printing temps to get better layer adhesion, or print a little slower.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2020 at 6:48 AM, Carla_Birch said:

With PETG you want to run the printer with as little part cooling as you can, for parts with no details you can run with 0% cooling fans to get strong layers, if a part as more fine details run cooling fans at 50%.

If its printing in a area open to cold drafts, its best to try and limit the draft (for any 3d printing really) to stop it cooling to fast. Also you might need to up the printing temps to get better layer adhesion, or print a little slower.

this is awesome advise Carla, will try all those tips and let you know.
    Thanks!