Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
simon

Ultimaker 2 shuts down when heated bed turns on

Hi All, just got my UM2 today. All was going well until I tried to print. I've identified the problem by going to the advanced setting and turning on the heated bed. As soon as the temperature setting goes 1 degree above the current plate setting, it trips out. every time. Basically as soon as it tries to heat the bed it trips. I've traced the wire both ends and can't find any short circuits. The main control PCB looks fine, no burn marks no smells, it actually looks kinda tidy in an Ultimaker sort of way. After tripping safely it reboots within about 4-5 seconds. Trips every time, reboots every time, although I don't want to tempt a serious failure so I'm not going to keep testing it.

I found an image of the PCB someone put up about another issue. The only difference I could see was mine has a couple of Jumper covers over safety 1 and safety 2, is this correct.

Any other ideas UM friends.

Ultimaker accidentally shipped the wrong power supplies for some UM2 machines and they just discovered it today. Please send a photo of your power "brick" that shows the amperage to Ultimaker support and they will ship you a new one immediately.

In the mean time, I recommend putting some blue tape over the glass (should have been included) and print on cold glass. You can even print directly on cold glass if you use the glue stick, use hot PLA. More details on printing on glass here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3404-printing-on-glass/

edit: for example print first layer at 240C and use glue stick and you should be fine. You can lower the temp when it starts the second layer.