Maker Shed has a few UM2 in stock.

Posted · Maker Shed has a few UM2 in stock.

For those in the U.S., the Maker Shed web site listed the UM2 in stock a few days ago. So, I ordered one on Dec. 7. I just got an email today (Dec. 10) saying it shipped along with a tracking number. It could arrive by Friday the 13th. For those who want one quick, better hurry. I don't know how many they bought, but I'm sure their supply won't last. For folks in the U.S., this is slightly cheaper than ordering from the Netherlands, too. FYI - It shipped from California.

Edit:

http://www.makershed.com/Ultimaker_2_3D_Printer_p/mkum3.htm

Hi Bill, good to have you back on the team :)

I am curious to see what else you will be making with the Ultimaker 2!

Thanks Sander. So far, I'm mostly impressed with the new printer. First, it worked right out of the box. That's a huge step forward. It's also quieter than my other two printers, even when I crank the speed up a bit. It's far more professional looking than the UM1, and on a par with my CubeX Trio in appearance. I'm in love with the glass heated print platform for printing PLA. Warmup is slower, but well worth the wait. When the plate cools, the parts are already sitting loose on the platform. I just pick them up. No more sliding a sharp edge under the part to get it to break loose. (One note though: The gantry seems to be loose, as it flexes a lot at the tiniest touch. Is that normal?)

My only real disappointment so far is that the printer only prints from SD cards. As a work around, I pre-sliced and copied 30-40 .gcode files onto the SD card and put it in the printer. Unfortunately, it stayed at "Reading SD Card..." for 20 minutes before I finally lost my patience and canceled. It simply never listed the files so I could choose one to print. I tried multiple times. I turned the printer off and on. I tried putting the files on another SD card and in all cases it did the same thing. I deleted all of the files except 3 or 4 and then it worked fine. Apparently, the UM2 cannot handle more than a few files at a time being on the SD card. That's a major limitation when the printer depends completely on an SD card to print. I'm hoping this is on the list for fixes.

I really miss just hitting "Print" from inside Cura. That was so much easier. I would love it if a future firmware revision restored that ability using the built-in USB port. I'm also wishing badly for a second extruder for PVA support material. Those two changes would make the UM2 the perfect machine.

Hi Bill,

I figured you would miss the click print button in Cura!

We are also working on wifi to be enabled in the future, so that would mean you can toss that SD card away again.

It is not there yet, but something to look forward to.

Dual Extrusion will be released (most likely) in the first or second Q of 2014, nearly there.

I have already seen some results and they already look amazing!

I have about 20 files on my SD card, not all very large tho.

Are yours all very big? It should be able to take more then a couple.

Okay. So, should I order from California ?. :eek:

Now seriously, is there any known reseller in Europe who has UM2 in stock?

Hi Bill,

I figured you would miss the click print button in Cura!

We are also working on wifi to be enabled in the future, so that would mean you can toss that SD card away again.

It is not there yet, but something to look forward to.

Dual Extrusion will be released (most likely) in the first or second Q of 2014, nearly there.

I have already seen some results and they already look amazing!

I have about 20 files on my SD card, not all very large tho.

Are yours all very big? It should be able to take more then a couple.

Good news about the WiFi option! Also, the dual extrusion! I can't wait to get both! I'm assuming they're user-installable upgrades for the UM2?

About half the files on my card are pretty large. Having been a programmer for a dozen years in an earlier life, the size of the files shouldn't make a difference when it's simply trying to list the names of the files for me to pick one. The size would cause delays when you actually try to open and read an individual file after it's selected. If it is reading the whole files just to list the names, that's bad coding. I highly doubt this is the case. Even the most inexperienced programmers would never do that. The person writing this firmware is obviously pretty experienced.

Hello all! FIRST POST!

*wild cheering in my head*

Ahem.

REALLY looking forward to getting my first 3d printer once we finish taxes and we get some money back.

I live in the United States, and was hoping that when our returrns come back Maker Shed will have some in stock.

1) No lead time

2) DHL scares me

My worry is how will support work if I buy from a third party like Maker Shed?

Can I still get support directly from Ultimaker?

If the printer arrives broken, who can I go to for support?

I have been pretty impressed with the forum activity you guys show. My wife is a director of community for a software company, so I know many of the pitfalls very well. You guys are doing it right. (Thumbs up to SandervG and Daid)

Thank you for your time.

I'm not sure that MakerShed is really set up to provide much support at the moment; in the past when someone had a problem with a UM1 kit ordered through MakerShed, they referred them back to Ultimaker, and Ultimaker was happy to provide the necessary support both through this forum, and directly through their support ticket system.

Ultimaker has talked about strengthening its US distribution and support capabilities this year, so I'm hopeful that before long the situation for US users will be much better. That said, I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with DHL for shipping from Ultimaker - stuff arrives in 3 or 4 days, including the weekend.

In either case, you'll get the support you need whether you buy directly, or from Maker Shed.

Thanks for the response!

Been pulled away with semi-work related stuff lately, I was hoping for some kind of official statement from the ultimaker folks that third party purchases of new hardware is supported.

I understand that this is probably the wrong place to ask.

I will wait till we have the money (stupid slow taxes) and then either call or email their support directly. Figured if it was answered in the forums then it might help others and make them feel more warm and fuzzy about buying through re-distributors.

Congrats! I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on this. That's pretty quick delivery too.

Makersheds supply of 30 UM2's ran out very fast - about a week. That was back in December. There is a big rumor that they will be getting another shipment soon - in the next few weeks - you will have to act fast - within a few days. I was with UM employees the last 5 days and they didn't confirm or deny the rumor. I wouldn't cancel my order just yet.

Wondering if I should place my order with them now and just wait. I did find two other sites that have them in stock now. But they are asking a little bit more. Almost 2,000 euros, which is about $200ish more than Maker Shed. I'm tempted, but I can wait if Maker Shed is for sure getting some soon. Shipping will be much cheaper as I live in CA.