Plug in to change print settings at various levels

schafe

Posted · Plug in to change print settings at various levels

There have been several projects where I have wanted to change Cura settings at a certain level.  Like 100% fill for a strong part then change to 20% for more speed when strength doesn't matter.  Right now I want to change layer height at certain levels for more detail in one section then change back for more speed. 

Thanks

21 minutes ago, schafe said:

Right now I want to change layer height at certain levels for more detail in one section then change back for more speed. 

aka Variable Layer height. I would love something akin to this added to Cura, currently the only slicer i know of with this feature is Slic3r/Prusa Slicer. 

22 minutes ago, schafe said:

Like 100% fill for a strong part then change to 20% for more speed when strength doesn't matter

Again another feature addition that would be awesome, and there may be a possible solution/workaround here : 

6 hours ago, Longtoke said:

aka Variable Layer height. I would love something akin to this added to Cura, currently the only slicer i know of with this feature is Slic3r/Prusa Slicer.

Cura has this. It's called adaptive layer height.

There is also the option to use modifier meshes: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013370140-How-to-adjust-print-settings-of-a-part-of-my-model-in-Ultimaker-Cura Slic3r also has this option, since they copied it from Cura.

Posted (edited) · Plug in to change print settings at various levels
    16 hours ago, nallath said:

Cura has this. It's called adaptive layer height.

Learn something every day !. Of note though, it's in the experimental options section. 

What plans ( and time frames ? ) are in place to implement it as a fully functional feature ? 

Edited by Longtoke

23 hours ago, nallath said:

There is also the option to use modifier meshes:

Sorry, but this is the worst explanation imaginable on a feature that isn't intuitive in the slightest. 

No mention whatsoever of needing to add the infill density option to each mesh, which I have to do for EVERY mesh individually, and one miss click and Cura inadvertently applies the mesh to the whole model, which is complicated further by the lack of any undo function, complimented by the clunky feel of the UI for these features.

Did you perhaps mean to post a different link that gave a better explanation related to what I was trying to achieve or is this designed so poorly intentionally ( like missing tool tips on icons ) ?

The simple explanation for those interested - 

>use the support blocker ( 6th icon on the left side missing a tool tip ) to generate a generic cube model OR add a model of your own for custom shapes 

> select the model you just placed

> select Per Model Settings ( 5th icon down on left side also missing tool tip )

> change the mesh type to "Modify Settings For Overlaps"

> hit the "select settings" button and add the "infill density" option

> set the infill density as required ( in my case I needed 100% infill for a section of my model ) 

> move the model/mesh to where you need it. 

end result is a model with different infill densities as specified by the overlapping of the modified "support blocker" model/mesh.

I'd hazard a guess and say you can probably use the same feature to tinker with things to affect variable layer heights, good luck figuring it out though. 

Edited by Longtoke

It can always happen that a specific feature is not self explaining for everyone and that someone cannot understand how it works. The good news are, that Ultimaker has a good documentation on their website which explains it deeper:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013370140-How-to-adjust-print-settings-of-a-part-of-my-model-in-Ultimaker-Cura

So everything is available, just not as a popping up tooltip that says, "Hey, I think you need some assistance using a feature I am guessing you want to use, let me guide you to the documentation...."

• Like 1

Guess, Ultimaker should put available resource information's more prominent in forum too. I recognize these kind of questions are popping up quite often. Maybe a sticky post in the forum can help to find available resources too. Not to mention the famous Settings guide plugin from @ghostkeeper

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

It can always happen that a specific feature is not self explaining for everyone and that someone cannot understand how it works. The good news are, that Ultimaker has a good documentation on their website which explains it deeper:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013370140-How-to-adjust-print-settings-of-a-part-of-my-model-in-Ultimaker-Cura

So everything is available, just not as a popping up tooltip that says, "Hey, I think you need some assistance using a feature I am guessing you want to use, let me guide you to the documentation...."

You misunderstand me....

I do not expect a tooltip to have a complete description of a features options, with a link to where to find more comprehensive info. That said, I can't understand why there's a set of buttons on the left side that have no tooltip whatsoever in contrast to the extremely detailed tooltips that occur in printer profile settings for example. I would think a basic descriptor of what a button leads to/does is a routine thing that is commonplace in countless software, even present within Cura's features. It could be argued a tooltip is a normal thing to include and it's omission is negligence. 

I'd also suggest you go look at the link Nallath provided regarding my original query. Rather than it simply detailing how to apply a different infill percentage to a portion of my model, it vaguely discusses how to apply meshes to different extruders. 

Nallath has stated previously there is an issue with uptake of new features and getting feedback during beta's, and after stumbling through this feature, I'm not surprised in the slightest. If you fail to present basic information ( what is the button function labeled ?, no tooltip, so no idea... ) and then direct people to articles that have very little relevance to what is being discussed, you can't honestly expect to have high numbers of users engage in testing. 

Just another case of Cura's seemingly intended ignorance to anything not Ultimaker branded. 

Edited by Longtoke

7 hours ago, Longtoke said:

Just another case of Cura's seemingly intended ignorance to anything not Ultimaker branded. 

That's not really fair, the team is doing a great job and tries to solve every problem and every bug. That the focus is on Ultimaker products should be clear, Cura is the slicer of choice for Ultimaker printers. That Cura also supports 3rd party printers is a gift and Ultimaker could also offer Cura exclusively for UM printers and leave the further development of the open source version to the community.

Unfortunately, I observe again and again in what kind of claims are often made on free software for which one has never paid a cent. A good example is the current discussion with Fusion360 and the change in the license model.

I can only advise you to open a feature request on GitHub, then your request will be documented and possibly implemented according to priority. Or implement the feature yourself, that's the nice thing about OpenSource, everyone can change the software to their liking.

21 hours ago, Smithy said:

That Cura also supports 3rd party printers is a gift

This is exactly the attitude I take issue with. 

Cura has been built to what it is today by the 3d printing community, NOT exclusively by Ultimaker branded printer users.

The benefits of this are hard to equate in dollar terms to impress executives with, but Cura would not be where it is today without the contributions from the wider 3d printing community. Nallath has stated it would be easier for developers if more users trial new features and bug test new releases, so the end user is paying a price of sorts in investing their time to give feedback to Ultimaker. Feedback that Ultimaker uses to polish the software that it markets it's printers with. 

The sooner attitudes such as yours are removed from the development process, the better. The arrogance of such statements still astounds me. 

21 hours ago, Smithy said:

Ultimaker could also offer Cura exclusively for UM printers and leave the further development of the open source version to the community.

At this stage, I can't see a negative in this option, better yet, start charging for Cura. I'd gladly pay for improved user - developer interaction and more intelligent design. 

Edited by Longtoke

15 hours ago, Longtoke said:

I'd gladly pay for improved user - developer interaction and more intelligent design. 

Well if you want to pay for Cura, feel free to sponsor my work on it as a 3rd party contributor to the project:

https://github.com/sponsors/fieldOfView/

• Like 2

Sorry . . .

Well. If you're willing to send me money, I'd love to work on things on my own time.

But sorry I misread your question. I don't think that your very long rant was a warranted response though. You could just have said "Sorry, not the stuff I'm looking for"

• Like 1