S5 Wireless Disconnection

Posted · S5 Wireless Disconnection

We have an S5.  It basically holds a wireless connection long enough to get a print started.  Any print of any significant length will drop the connection partway through, making any connectivity functionality such as Digital Factory useless.  The only way to get the S5 to reconnect is to cycle the power.  (the connect button under maintenance/network does nothing).  

There are many topics/threads on this issue in the community but I see no resolutions.  

Mine is in this state from the beginning. No reliable wifi connection.  Don't know where the problem is. I guess my network. But there are no diagnostics utilities. So very hard to resolve.

Wifi is great when it works reliable, but this is often not the case and there are hundreds of reasons. Often is a busy channel, too much clients or too many interferences. Other devices like notebooks have often no problem, they have bigger antennas and a more robust wifi chip inside, than other devices like printers for example.

So when you never get a stable connection, contact your reseller, maybe the wifi board is not 100% ok. But when it works sometimes and sometimes not, I would say you have too much interferences and solving this issue is really hard and time consuming.

I would connect the printer via ethernet whenever it is possible, it is still the best solution and you don't have to struggle with network outages.

Are your printers hosting a larger group of printers, or is it a single unit? Are you on the latest firmware version? I believe a version of 3 ago we made quite an improvement towards better connectivity. 

I am a single printer on the network. I am running 5.8.1. I haven't seen any improvement to the wifi issues over the last few updates. Essentially it connects on restart and stays connected ok, but when you send a job from Cura during the printing it drops the connection. The wifi toggle on the control panel becomes inoperable, just no longer will toggle on and off. Only way to reconnect is to restart the printer. 

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · S5 Wireless Disconnection

@SandervGYes, latest firmware and software.  (Although updated since posting this thread).  Just a single printer.  I know I'm veering from this topic, but today I now cannot print wirelessly at all, either via network or via cloud.  The job is "successfully sent" but it never shows up in the queue.  I gave up and and I'm printing from a USB drive.  

This was in the log right after attempting to send a print:

Nov 22 17:26:23 ultimakersystem-ccbdd300acf9 flipflop_wsgi.py[9708]: OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device: '/var/lib/griffin/cluster/analytics_state.json.new'

Edited by StephenRobertson

Thank you for the update, I am sorry to hear. Can you share the Ultimakersystem[xx].log.gz with us? You can share it with us via this link so our product experts can take a look and hopefully identify the cause. 

I have an S5 w/Material Station and Air Manager and am having the same problems. Cura and firmware are up to date. It takes various and seemingly different combinations of Digital Factory every time - Digital Factory resets, system resets, reboots, printer remove and printer add sequences to run a print or several prints before it happens again. The S5 prints beautifully and the material station is a great add on but I am spending more and more time dealing with connection issues. I sent support a detailed manually written log of one long session and they said it could be the wifi board. Based on the forum this seems to be a common problem. Is there a known issue with some or all of the wifi boards? Can I replace the wifi board or does the whole printer have to go out for service? 

Posted (edited) · S5 Wireless Disconnection

@SandervG, now my prints are making it into the que but just sitting there "Waiting for: First Available":

I've attached a screen shot and a log (as well as submitting the log to your above link).  Thanks.

(I'm not sure where to find "Ultimakersystem[xx].log.gz", I uploaded this file:

C:\Users\Stephen Robertson\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.8\cura.log)

image.thumb.png.83f57bc525c4e2e46e9cc153d03875c1.png

cura.log

Edited by StephenRobertson