Ultimaker Cura 4.8 for the Ultimaker 2+ Connect

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.8 for the Ultimaker 2+ Connect

After a successful BETA period we are ready to launch Ultimaker Cura 4.8. With support for the Ultimaker 2+ Connect that we launched today. Download it right now to experience several new features that allow you to work faster than ever. 

Check this video for a quick run down of Ultimaker Cura 4.8:

New features

Arrange models feature improvement. An improved arrange models feature allows you to quickly organize all your CAD models on your build plate. Previously the automated orientation of multiple parts did not always utilize the full build plate area and it required manual placement. With this new feature parts are automatically positioned more efficiently, using the full available space of the build plate. This is particularly useful for small batch production.

Note: This feature was developed with the power of the open source community. In particularly a big thank you to Prusa Research, which developed the open source library used to create this improvement. 

Color object below build plate. Sometimes you need to drop a model below the surface of your build plate, in Ultimaker Cura. From Ultimaker Cura 4.8 onwards, parts that are sunk below the build plate and will therefor be cut off, will be shown in a different color. 

Load project file improvement. When loading a project file, you can select which printer type you want to open with. This will significantly improve your user experience when working with multiple files and multiple printers. 

Besides this new features, we also fixed several bugs.

• Measurement units. Previously, when changing percentages, the wrong axis would be scaled. This is fixed. 
  • Artefact in curves. We fixed an issue that left tiny artefacts in certain curves, causing the print head to slow down. Surfaces are now smoother. 

Excited to give Ultimaker Cura 4.8 a try? 
Download it here.

Feedback?
As always, we are eager to hear from you! Only together we can make things better. Please let us know what you think right below in the comments! Looking forward hearing from you, thank you for your time! 

• Like 5

It is definitely very helpful to actually see new changes in action during the video presentation. Just hearing release notes read out / paraphrased by the presenter would be much less helpful. The videos are nicely produced and pleasantly concise. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.8 for the Ultimaker 2+ Connect

I am on a new Macbookpro (2019) With Big Sur OS.

I like the new release. 4.8

i have some problems though:

after slicing layer preview is not visible anymore.

Cura operator camera zoom zooms to an irrelevant point in the left corner of the printer.

When Selecting the object the camera resets view to center. but the zoom point stays offset to that left corner. This results in: when zoomed in, the Camera rotates not around the desired object anymore.

Edited by yzorg
more info

When you don't see the layer preview, check if you have enabled the "Force layer view compatibility mode" in the Cura preferences.

I just have double checked it on my system for Big Sur and it is as before, layer preview is working and also the zoom function is not different than before.

So I don't think it is a general problem with Big Sur and 4.8.

Goodmorning,

I have just updated to Cura 4.8. 
    However now I have problems with loading the stl-files in Cura. The building templates won't show up. 

And I am not able to slice the project. 

I am working with an ulitimaker original. 

I am a bit of a newbee - so what kind of adjustment should I make. 

Thnx

Edited by Bart35
    add up info.

Just started printing with Cura 4.8 and found a problem it overrides manual temperature settings in cura with the Start Gcode script so it will start out heating my nozzle to 230 and my bed to 100c and then it will run the Gcode start script and set the temps down to 215 and 55c  almost broke the extruder with this, thankfully i saw it in time. never had this problem in cura 4.7.1 seems the start script was changed for my printer somehow.

Printer: Geeetech A-10 

first lines of gcode:

;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.8.0
    M140 S100
    M105
    M190 S100
    M104 S230

M105
    M109 S230
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
    G28 
    G1 Z15 F300
    M107
    G90
    M82
    M104 S215
    M140 S55

G92 E0
    M109 S215
    M107
    G0 X10 Y20 F6000
    G1 Z0.8
    G1 F300 X180 E40
    G1 F1200 Z2
    G92 E0
    G28
    G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F2100 E-0.8
    ;LAYER_COUNT:77
    ;LAYER:0
    M107
    G0 F3600 X35.312 Y41.609 Z0.15
    ;TYPE:SKIRT

as u see it sets the temps twice first of all my own settings in cura and then it loads the start script after it already heated up to the right temperature etc.

Edited by KryptoOwl

On 11/24/2020 at 2:18 PM, Smithy said:

So I don't think it is a general problem with Big Sur and 4.8.

thanks for the help.
    my camera zoom problem was fi
    xed by deactivating the zoom to mouse-position (which did not work at all)

My "Force layer view compatibility mode" was deactivated from beginning. so no change there.

Edited by yzorg

Application does not cut models

cura.log

Cura 4.8 won't land models on build plate on "arrange models" and there's no tool for doing this otherwise.

You can always manually arrange models in the build plate with the translation/move tool.

If your model stays in the aur, please check if you have "drop models to build plate" enabled in the Cura configuration settings.

Also, model errors can affect Cura's ability to arrange objects on the build plate.

I have been having some similar problems with 4.8. I could not get the models to lay flat on the buildplate. Using the 'Lay Flat' function just moved the model to a different spot on the buildplate, sometimes in the middle of another model. What happened to the 'choose face' option for Lay Flat?

Pete