Using photos with this software

boby34

Posted · Using photos with this software

Hello there are you able to tell me is this software able to 3d print coins from my photos which I have on my computer. I do not have a 3D printer yet. I am trying to find out which software is able to this 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Some time ago, I did see that Cura showed jpg files (I'll sometimes store picture files together with stl's).

At that time I learned that the black part of the pictures become higher parts in the frame and white color the lowest parts.

From above this look some nice -but also kind of strange. I've been thinking about using "old black and withe" film to see how this will be looking using Cura.

So, light intensity is controlling how deep your print will be..

Interesting thing this..

Thanks

Torgeir

When you import an image in cura you can define if the black is the higher or the lower.  Normaly if it's to create a Lithophane;  dark part must the higher ( default setting)  because if you want a dark area you need to have as much as material as possible.

Settings.JPG

• Like 1

I have actually used this feature many times. Just be aware that if you use an image with bad, low-rez size you will see the individual pixels as a layer. And best to convert to BW image so there is no guess work with a colour photo.

• Like 2

Technically you can make 3D-prints from photos: I did portraits in that way.

However, it won't work well for coins: at best they are going to look like photos from coins, not like real coins. Because one side is getting light and thus highlighted, while the opposite side is in the shadow. So the 3D-print will look very weird, and only resemble a coin-photo if you look through it towards the light.

Further, it depends on the material: you need a translucent material that lets light shine through.

So, you can print a 3D coin photo from a 2D coin photo. If you want to print a real coin, you need or a 3D model, or a greyscale drawing in which each grey tint correctly represents the required height.

• Like 1